All currently-enrolled UC Berkeley students can use University Health Services (UHS) and take advantage of the high-quality, convenient care offered right on campus regardless of insurance. All students are automatically enrolled in SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan) annually with the option to waive with comparable coverage; all students are assigned to a Primary Care Team, and all students have access to the eTang portal.
A-Z Resources at UHS for UC Berkeley Students
- Advice Nurse - If you have a medical question, need home-care advice, or are unsure about which services are best for you, speak with the 24/7 Advice Nurse by calling (510) 643-7197. You can also send a secure message online through the eTang portal.
Anonymous Screenings for Mental Health - University Health Services offers online screenings for depression, anxiety, eating disorders, bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress. The screenings may help you determine whether seeking professional consultation would be of benefit to you. These free screenings are available to all UC Berkeley students, staff and faculty members and are taken anonymously.
- Be Well Monthly Buzz - The Be Well Buzz is our monthly newsletter for UC Berkeley students! It comes out once a month during the academic year and highlights our latest news, updates, and events.
- Career Counseling Assessment and Library - The Career Counseling Library is a unique collection of books, files, directories, and electronic resources staffed by professional staff who will help you explore majors, careers, and graduate programs.
- Events Calendar - Check out the latest UHS events happening on the UC Berkeley campus!
- Finals/RRR Week Tips - Tips for managing stress, time, and studying stills.
- Group Counseling - Group counseling is a powerful and effective way for students to 1) share concerns, 2) give and receive support, and 3) learn new skills and heal.
Health Coaching - Health coaches support you through the process of defining and achieving your health and wellness goals by creating a sustainable and achievable action plan.
- Health Opportunity Fund (HOF) - The Health Opportunity Fund provides funds to be used at University Health Services (UHS) by eligible students.
- Health Topics - Learn more about health topics relevant to college students like sleep, stress, and more.
- Health Workers Program - Health Workers are student peer educators who serve in the residence halls, fraternities, sororities, and Bowles and provide the following services on-site or remotely.
- HIV Rapid Testing - Testing is free and anonymous with results provided in 30 minutes.
- How to Get Involved - UC Berkeley students from all over campus can participate in UHS peer, intern, and volunteer programs.
- Light Therapy - Light therapy is offered free of charge to students at UHS, on the 2nd floor.
Mandatory TB & Immunization Program - All incoming and re-admitted students must satisfy TB screening and immunization requirements as mandated by the UC Office of the President by the established deadline before the fall semester starts.
- Massage Chairs - We offer free massage chairs to encourage people to take a break during their busy days.
- Medical - Students can use the medical services at UHS just as they would their regular doctor's office and urgent care center. Our facility is fully accredited, staffed by licensed and/or board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, a nutritionist, and nurses.
- Mental Health Resources - UHS offers counseling and mental health services to all UC Berkeley students (regardless of insurance plan). Our highly skilled and culturally competent team is here to serve you with a wide range of programs.
- Nutrition - Drop-in Nutrition Counseling sessions allow students to meet with a registered dietitian over video or phone for general nutrition concerns. These 15-minute sessions are free and are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Over-the-Counter Products available at UHS - The UHS Pharmacy carries some over-the-counter medications and contraceptive products at discounted prices. No prescription is required.
- Party Safe at Cal - Resources for Party Goers and Party Throwers.
- Pet Hugs - In partnership with the Animal Rescue Foundation, UHS coordinates a Pet Hugs event once a month. Pet Hugs brings therapy dogs to campus to positively impact mood, stress, and connection for students, staff, and faculty.
- Preventive Health and Wellness - Preventive health focuses on wellness, health maintenance, and disease prevention. It includes general counseling regarding healthy habits and practices, and specific advice and testing tailored to the individual depending on personal and familial health risks. Screening tests, health education, and immunizations are common examples of preventive care.
- Sample Fees - A list of sample fees for some of our most common services. Prices are subject to change, please check with the cashier for our most up-to-date cost information.
- Sexual Health Care - Healthy sexuality is an important part of overall wellness and means more than just sex, condoms, and STD testing. It involves feeling informed and empowered to express your sexuality in a way that is consensual, respectful, and informed, and—ultimately—personally enriches your life.
- SHIP (Health Insurance) - All registered students at the University of California are required to meet the university’s health insurance mandate. Registered UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students are automatically enrolled in the Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) as a way to meet this mandate.
- SHIP Waiver information - If you have comparable insurance and don't want to keep SHIP as dual coverage, you may submit a waiver application.
- Social Health and Wellness -
Make friends and build a community by taking a chance and saying “Hi” to a fellow UC Berkeley student!
Urgent Care/After-Hours Care - For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. UHS Urgent Care is open for sudden, serious, and unexpected illnesses, injuries, or conditions that require immediate medical attention. Please visit the Urgent Care webpage for current hours. See After Hours and Emergency/Crisis resources for when Tang is closed. Don't forget the phone options above for 24/7 guidance.
- New Students and Your Health
- Checklist for new incoming students
- Guide to Getting Started at UHS
- Immunization Requirements
- How to make the most of your appointment
- What's your #bewellcal game plan?
- How to use SHIP (Health Insurance)
- Asian American Pacific Islanders (API) students
- Black Community at Berkeley
- International Students at Berkeley
- Services at UHS for LGBTQIA+ Students
- Muslim Students
- UC Berkeley parents and community members
- South Asian, Southwest Asian, and North African (SSWANA) Students
- Students with Disabilities
- Information for Visiting Scholars + Postdocs
- Gynecology Services
- Undocumented Students
Student Advisory Boards
Health Fee Advisory Board (HFAB) - The Health Fee Advisory Board (HFAB) advises University Health Services-Tang Center and campus administration on matters related to the Campus Health Care Fee paid during registration.
Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) - The Student Health Advisory Committee is an advisory board to University Health Services-Tang Center and campus administration that represents the entire student population at the University of California, Berkeley.