The Student Health Advisory Committee is an advisory board to University Health Services, Tang Center and campus administration that represents the entire student population at the University of California, Berkeley.
The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) meets 3-4 times per semester and makes recommendations to the Assistant Vice Chancellor and senior management team of University Health Services, Tang Center (UHS). The specific functions of SHAC are to:
- Create an organized dialogue between students and administration about student health and counseling needs, and UHS programs and services.
- Provide program and service advice/consultation.
- Identify educational/informational needs of students.
- Address barriers related to seeking care and provide feedback around accessibility and ease of use.
- Assess emerging student issues and keep UHS connected to student life and campus.
- Give campus administrators planning advice given student needs and budget constraints.
- Assess perception of UHS services.
- Provide student input through additional channels such as hiring and other Tang Center committees.
SHAC strives to reflect the diversity of the student body and includes representatives from the ASUC, bridges Multicultural Resource Center, Committee on Student Fees, Greek Community, Graduate Assembly, Health Worker Peer Education Program, Immigrant Student Issues Coalition, international students, multiple recruitment and retention centers, National Pan-Hellenic Council, queer and transgender students, Residence Hall Assembly, Student Parent Association, Students with Disabilities (DSP), Transfer/Re-entry Student Association, Underground Scholars, University Students Cooperative Association and at-large undergraduate and graduate students.
The official SHAC membership recruiting period begins at the start of each fall semester. Open positions for specific communities can be filled throughout the academic year.
Make a Positive Impact on Campus Health: Apply for SHAC
Interested in student health? Do you want to voice the health issues of your communities? The Tang Center/University Health Services is looking for both undergraduate and graduate / professional students to join the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC). SHAC fosters an organized dialogue among students, communities, and the UHS Assistant Vice Chancellor / senior managers about student health and well-being needs. Members consult and provide feedback on accessibility, health care programs and services and emerging student needs.
MEETING TIMES | SHAC meets three times per semester on Tuesdays from 5-7pm on Sept. 24, Oct. 22 and Nov. 21 (Thursday from 5-8pm) for Fall 2019; Feb. 11, Mar. 10 and Apr. 14 for Spring 2020. There is a mandatory New Member Orientation on Tuesday, October 1 from 5-7pm.
APPLY/DEADLINE | SHAC applications for 2019-20 is closed. Questions? Contact SHAC student coordinator Mariah De Zuzuarregui at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download the flier here (PDF).
For more information, contact SHAC student coordinator Mariah De Zuzuarregui at email@example.com.
Staff to the Committee: Bene Gatzert, (510) 642-3629 and Tami Cate, (510) 664-7168