The Student Health Advisory Committee is an advisory board to University Health Services, Tang Center and campus administration that represents the entire student population at the University of California, Berkeley.
The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) meets 3-4 times per semester and makes recommendations to the Assistant Vice Chancellor and senior management team of University Health Services, Tang Center (UHS). The specific functions of SHAC are to:
- Create an organized dialogue between students and administration about student health and counseling needs, and UHS programs and services.
- Provide program and service advice/consultation.
- Identify educational/informational needs of students.
- Address barriers related to seeking care and provide feedback around accessibility and ease of use.
- Assess emerging student issues and keep UHS connected to student life and campus.
- Give campus administrators planning advice given student needs and budget constraints.
- Assess perception of UHS services.
- Provide student input through additional channels such as hiring and other Tang Center committees.
SHAC strives to reflect the diversity of the student body and includes representatives from the ASUC, bridges Multicultural Resource Center, Committee on Student Fees, Greek Community, Graduate Assembly, Health Worker Peer Education Program, Immigrant Student Issues Coalition, international students, multiple recruitment and retention centers, National Pan-Hellenic Council, queer and transgender students, Residence Hall Assembly, Student Parent Association, Transfer/Re-entry Student Association, University Students Cooperative Association and at-large undergraduate and graduate students.
The official SHAC membership recruiting period begins at the start of each fall semester. Open positions for specific communities can be filled throughout the academic year.
Make a Positive Impact on Campus Health: Apply for SHAC
Interested in student health? Do you want to voice the health issues of your communities? The Tang Center/University Health Services is looking for both undergraduate and graduate students to join the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC). SHAC fosters an organized dialogue between students and the Tang Center Executive Director and senior managers about student health and counseling needs. Members consult on programs/services, student health insurance and budget issues, informational needs of students, accessibility and ease of use, and emerging student issues.
MEETING TIMES | SHAC meets three times per semester on Tuesdays from 5-7pm on Sept. 25, Oct. 23 and Nov. 13 (5-8pm) for Fall 2018; Feb. 12, Mar. 19 and Apr. 23 for Spring 2019. There is a mandatory New Member Orientation on Tuesday, October 2 from 5-7pm.
APPLY/DEADLINE | The SHAC application period for 2018-19 is closed. Questions? Contact SHAC student coordinator Mariah De Zuzuarregui at email@example.com.
- Download the flier here (PDF).
For more information, contact SHAC student coordinator Mariah De Zuzuarregui at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff to the Committee: Bene Gatzert, (510) 642-3629 and Tami Cate, (510) 664-7168