What is the Health Opportunity Fund?
The HOF provides in-kind support to help offset charges for UHS services and prescriptions by the following registered students:
- Pell Grant and Dream Aid recipients
- Graduate students who have filed a FAFSA for the current year and have Pell Grant equivalent eligibility
- Actively registered students in the Disabled Students Program (DSP)
Eligible students are usually sent an email notification by mid-September. Funds are loaded onto Cal 1 Card debit accounts.
The ASUC, University Health Services, Equity and Inclusion, and Student Affairs have collaborated with the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Student Service Fees (CACSSF) and the Wellness Fee Committee to offer in-kind support to help offset fees at University Health Services (UHS).
What is covered?
The HOF can be used for any services at UHS rendered between August 29, 2023 and May 13, 2024 (e.g. Pharmacy prescriptions and over-the-counter items), except for Optometry services and no-show/late cancellation fees.
When can I access funding?
Students can begin using HOF after the stated start date. Students who are eligible for HOF are sent an email notifying them that HOF has begun. You may also check your Cal 1 Card account.
Where can I access funding?
If you are an eligible student, the credit will be loaded onto your Cal 1 Card debit account. To check eligibility or your HOF balance, visit Cal 1 Card website. To access health services, visit our student guide to getting started at UHS. View a list of sample fees on the Billing and Cashier Office webpage.
How do I pay for services with HOF?
- Immediately after receiving services, visit the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Office on the 3rd floor of the Tang Center, present your Cal 1 Card, and identify yourself as a HOF recipient. You must complete this IN-PERSON transaction with the SHIP Office WITHIN 7 BUSINESS DAYS. Otherwise, charges are automatically billed to your CalCentral account and HOF can no longer be applied.
- When picking up prescriptions or purchasing over-the-counter products at the Pharmacy, present your Cal 1 Card, and identify yourself as a HOF recipient BEFORE PAYING.
- Please note special HOF hours at the Pharmacy:
- Monday to Friday: 10 am - 3 pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 10 am - 1 pm
- Students with HOF will be seen much quicker and get their requests processed during these times. The Pharmacy can service students during all open hours but priority is given to urgent requests and wait times may be significantly longer.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have questions about billing, please contact the UHS Billing & Cashier Office by calling (510) 642-8450 or visiting the SHIP office on the 3rd floor of the Tang Center.
PLEASE NOTE: HOF is available on a first-come, first-served basis through May 13, 2024, or until the pool of funds is exhausted, whichever comes first.