What is the Health Opportunity Fund?
The HOF provides in-kind support to help offset charges for UHS services and prescriptions by the following students*:
- Pell Grant and Dream Aid recipients
- Graduate students who have filed a FAFSA for the current year and have Pell Grant equivalent eligibility
- Actively registered students in the Disabled Students Program (DSP)
Eligible students were sent an email notification in mid-September. Funds are loaded onto Cal 1 Card debit accounts. This year students have up to $200 to use towards services.
*To be eligible, students must also be in good academic standing.
The ASUC, University Health Services, Equity and Inclusion, and Student Affairs have collaborated with the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Student Service Fees (CACSSF) and the Wellness Fee Committee to offer in-kind support to help offset fees at University Health Services (UHS).
What is covered?
The HOF can be used for any services at the Tang Center (ex. Pharmacy prescriptions and over-the-counter items), except for Optometry services and no-show/late cancellation fees.
When can I access funding?
Students that are eligible for the Fall 2022/Spring 2023 HOF cycle were sent an email in mid-September notifying them of the amount and that the program began.
Where can I access funding?
If you are an eligible student, the credit will be loaded onto your Cal 1 Card debit account. To check eligibility or your HOF balance, visit Cal 1 Card website. To access health services, visit our student guide to getting started at UHS. View a list of sample fees on the Billing and Cashier Office webpage.
How do I pay for services with HOF?
- Immediately after receiving services, visit the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Office on the 3rd floor of the Tang Center, present your Cal 1 Card, and identify yourself as a HOF recipient. You must complete this IN-PERSON transaction with the SHIP Office WITHIN 7 BUSINESS DAYS. Otherwise, charges are automatically billed to your CalCentral account and HOF can no longer be applied.
- When picking up prescriptions or purchasing over-the-counter products at the Pharmacy, present your Cal 1 Card, and identify yourself as a HOF recipient BEFORE PAYING.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have questions about billing, please contact the UHS Billing & Cashier Office by calling (510) 642-8450 or visiting the SHIP office on the 3rd floor of the Tang Center.
PLEASE NOTE: HOF is available on a first-come, first-served basis through May 12, 2023, or until the pool of funds is exhausted, whichever comes first.