UC COVID-19 Vaccination Policy Requirements
As of July 15, the University of California released a final COVID-19 vaccine policy. What this means for students, faculty and staff (including visiting scholars, postdocs and visiting students:
- The effective date for policy compliance will be Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2021, two weeks before the UC Berkeley fall term begins.
Those with approved exemptions or accommodations may return to campus with the requirement that they remain masked in all public settings and comply with the campus testing plan, which at a minimum will be weekly.
- Those that are in the process of getting their vaccination or not yet fully vaccinated may return to campus with the requirement that they remain masked in all public settings and comply with the campus testing plan, which at a minimum will be weekly until they are considered fully vaccinated (14 days after final vaccine dose). Some building access may be restricted.
If you received the vaccine at an off-campus vaccination site, you will need to upload a record of your vaccination to the secure eTang portal as soon as you have received your last dose and have a complete vaccination card. If you were vaccinated on campus, no further action is required.
Exemption Forms and Process
The policy allows for exceptions to COVID-19 vaccination based on a Medical Exemption, Disability Accommodation, or Religious Objection; pregnant individuals may also request a deferral if they wish for the duration of the pregnancy. Those that receive a vaccine mandate exception (for medical or religious reasons) will need to wear a face-covering inside campus buildings and will need to be tested at least once per week.
The forms and processes below are for students, faculty, and staff.
Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Forms
- To request a Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral use those forms (also found in eTang Downloadable Forms):
- For Students: Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Form - Students
- For Faculty and Staff: Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Form - Faculty and Staff
- Once your medical provider has completed and signed the document, you need to upload it to eTang in the Downloadable Forms section.
- Medical exemption requests will be evaluated individually by the UHS Medical Director and approved exemptions will be processed to update compliance with the COVID-19 vaccine policy.
- A list of established medical contraindications to vaccination can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for Guide to Contraindications.
Religious Belief Objection
- To request a Religious Belief Objection, use this UC Berkeley Religious Belief Objection Form.
Requests will be reviewed and it may take a few days for your compliance status to be updated. You will be contacted if additional information is needed.
Remote Study Students - COVID-19 Exception Request Form
For students who are studying remotely for Fall 2021 and will not be coming to campus for any reason, at any time through December 31, 2021, you can complete an attestation form in eTang, under Downloadable Forms. You may also be asked to provide documentation from your academic department confirming that you are studying remotely and will not be on campus.