UC COVID-19 Vaccine and Booster Requirements

UC COVID-19 Vaccination Policy Requirement

Updated 12/12/22: University of California Vaccine Program Policy has been updated to reflect the following:

  • The primary vaccine series of the COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all incoming faculty, staff, and students except for those who have approved religious, medical, and disability exceptions and temporary deferral due to pregnancy or recent COVID-19 diagnosis or treatment. 
  • Faculty, staff, and students may also be required to have an annual COVID-19 vaccine booster starting in Fall 2023. More details to come including a process for those who prefer to opt out of COVID-19 boosters will be permitted to do so by submitting a declination statement.
    • NOTE: Healthcare workers must still submit a request for religious, medical, and disability exceptions or recent COVID-19 diagnosis or treatment, and are ineligible for simple declination.  

Please review the instructions for how to update your vaccination record in eTang with your booster information. Once you enter your vaccine information, your Cal Central will update overnight.

If you tested positive for COVID in the last 90 days:

  • For those who have recently tested positive for COVID-19, you may receive the booster sooner if you wish, any time after you are released from isolation and are fully recovered, as long as you did not receive monoclonal antibodies to treat your COVID-19. 
  • We would recommend you consider doing so sooner than 90 days if you are immunocompromised, are about to start immunosuppressive medications, or are about to travel to an area with a different circulating strain or limited healthcare access. 
  • However, if you tested positive and want to defer your booster for 90 days from the date you were positive, make sure that you have sent a message to the COVID Response Team via eTang and uploaded your positive test results. Once the submission is reviewed, you will automatically be given a 90 day deferral from getting your booster from the date of the positive test.  

Booster Guidelines 

As of 12/1/2022 (subject to change)

If you received an initial series of…

You are eligible for a bivalent PFIZER or MODERNA booster if it has been at least…

Pfizer (Comirnaty)


Sinopharm BIBP or Sinovac



2+ months after your 2nd dose

J&J (Janssen)


2+ months after your J&J dose

Exemption Forms and Process

The policy allows for exceptions to COVID-19 vaccination based on a Medical Exemption, Disability Accommodation, or Religious Objection; pregnant individuals may also request a deferral if they wish for the duration of the pregnancy. Those that receive a vaccine mandate exception (for medical or religious reasons) will need to wear a face-covering inside campus buildings and it is strongly recommended that you get tested at least once per week.

Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Forms 

  • To request a Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral use those forms (found in eTang Downloadable Forms):
    • For Students:  Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Form - Students 
    • For Faculty and Staff: Medical Exemption/Disability/Deferral Request Form - Faculty and Staff   
  • Once your medical provider has completed and signed the document, you need to upload it to eTang in the Downloadable Forms section.
  • Medical exemption requests will be evaluated individually by the UHS Medical Director and approved exemptions will be processed to update compliance with the COVID-19 vaccine policy.
  • A list of established medical contraindications to vaccination can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for Guide to Contraindications.

Religious Belief Objection

  • To request a Religious Belief Objection, use this UC Berkeley Religious Belief Objection Form.
    • To complete the form, you must be logged in using your berkeley.edu email address.  
  • Requests will be reviewed and it may take a few days for your compliance status to be updated. You will be contacted if additional information is needed.

Remote Study Students - COVID-19 Exception Request Form

For students who are studying remotely for the semester and will not be coming to campus for any reason, at any time, you can complete an attestation form in eTang, under Downloadable Forms.  You may also be asked to provide documentation from your academic department confirming that you are studying remotely and will not be on campus. 

Temporary enrollment hold lift for COVID-19 vaccine requirement 

Students may request a temporary enrollment hold lift if you meet either of the following;

1. You are an international student living in a country with limited or no access to WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccines, and will not have time to complete a WHO-approved vaccine series before the start of the semester once I arrive in the United States.

2. You received the first dose of a multi-dose COVID-19 vaccine series, and need to wait the requisite amount of time in between doses.

Please complete and submit this form by uploading on eTang under messages.

COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ

Are medical or religious exemptions allowed?

The policy will allow for narrow medical exemptions consistent with CDC guidance and manufacturer labeling on contraindications and precautions.  As with other policies and, in accordance with relevant federal and California law, faculty, staff, and students will also be eligible to request exceptions based on a sincerely-held religious belief. 

Those with approved exemptions or accommodations may return to campus and access classes and services with the requirement that they remain masked in all public settings and comply with weekly COVID testing.

What if I got vaccinated outside of University Health Services?

If you received the vaccine at an off-campus vaccination site, you will need to upload a record of your vaccination to the secure eTang portal as soon as you have received your last dose and have a complete vaccination card.

Vaccine record guidelines and information on obtaining your COVID-19 vaccine record can be found on the CDPH website.  

  • For all vaccinations administered in California via State distributed vaccine and for vaccines administered as part of the federal pharmacies, dialysis center, and federally qualified health center programs, vaccine administration data is entered into California's Immunization Information System (also known as CA Immunization Registry2 or CAIR2).  A copy of this record may be requested via phone, email, or an online form.

Do vaccines from other countries meet the COVID vaccine requirements?

Yes, UC Berkeley will accept COVID vaccines from other countries that are approved by the World Health Organization. Currently, the approved vaccines by the WHO are:

Once you get your vaccines, please also upload your records to eTang under medical clearances, you can select the type of vaccine from the drop-down menu.

What if I cannot get a COVID vaccine in my county before I arrive?

For students who are not able to get vaccinated or maybe only received partial vaccination in their county before coming to campus, there will be COVID vaccine clinics on campus for students when they arrive. Details about how to book vaccine can be found on our vaccine webpage.

Is there a cost for getting a COVID vaccine on campus?

There is no cost to get a COVID vaccine at a campus vaccine clinic. Our vaccine clinics are open to all students, faculty, and staff.