Get Care at University Health Services (UHS) at UC Berkeley
A quick list of health resources for UC Berkeley students!
Appointments are required for most medical services at UHS, although for urgent problems, UHS offers options including 24/7 nurse advice by phone for students and SHIP dependents. If you arrive without an appointment, you will generally be scheduled and asked to return at that time or you may visit Urgent Care for sudden, serious, and unexpected illnesses, injuries, or conditions that require immediate medical attention. Learn about accessing mental health resources here.
- Schedule an appointment via the eTang portal (primary)
- Call (510) 642-2000 to make an appointment, TTY/TDD Phone Line: (510) 643-1233
- Call (510) 642-9494 for counseling appointments
- Call (510) 643-7197 to speak to the Advice Nurse
- Go to Urgent Care
- See hours of operation
Prepare for Your Appointment
- Fill out the needed forms through the eTang portal in advance of your visit.
- Check-in for most appointments using the self-check-in kiosks in the lobby.
- Fill out any additional paperwork at a clinic.
- Have your appointment with a clinician or counselor.
- You may have follow-up instructions after your visit.
- Pay at the Cashier's Office (3rd Floor) or bill to Cal Central.
How much do I pay?
- UHS provides many free services for all UC Berkeley students regardless of insurance, including: individual and couples counseling, group counseling, career counseling, Let's Talk consultations, health coaching, advice nurse, drop-in nutrition counseling, rapid HIV testing, etc.
- Review our list of the most common fees to see how much services cost for students with or without SHIP.
- For students with SHIP: For services at UHS, SHIP files the claim for you and you only pay 10%. For info about pharmacy, dental, and vision coverage visit the SHIP Benefits webpage.
- For students without SHIP: Since UHS doesn't accept or bill outside insurance, you pay the full amount due and coordinate with your own insurance company on how/if you will be reimbursed.
If you are a student or SHIP dependent and have a medical question, need home-care advice or are unsure about which services are best for you, speak with the 24/7 Advice Nurse by calling (510) 643-7197 or sending a secure message online. The Advice Nurse line will be answered by a referral line when we are closed. SHIP members may contact the 24/7 Nurse Line at (800) 681-4065. If you need to speak with a counselor urgently, call the 24/7 counseling line at (855) 817-5667.
Please note: UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and community members are not eligible for our advice nurse services. If you are a faculty or staff member please call (Occupational Health if work-related at (510) 642-6891 or your PCP for non-work-related care).
For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. UHS Urgent Care is open for sudden, serious, and unexpected illnesses, injuries, or conditions that require immediate medical attention. Please visit the Urgent Care webpage for current hours. See After Hours and Emergency/Crisis resources for when UHS is closed. Don't forget the phone options above for 24/7 guidance.
The eTang portal helps UC Berkeley students manage their health online, anywhere at any time. Schedule most medical and health education appointments, send secure messages, transfer/refill prescriptions, see lab results, and more.
Important Phone Numbers
In case of a life-threatening emergency, always call 911 or (510) 642-3333 if from a cell phone.
- 24/7 Advice Nurse: (510) 643-7197
- Appointment Office/General Info: (510) 642-2000
- Appointment Cancellation (24 hrs ahead): (510) 643-7033
- Counseling and Psychological Services: (510) 642-9494
- Counseling After Hours Line: (855) 817-5667
- SHIP 24-hour Nurse Line: (800) 681-4065
- Student Health Insurance Office (SHIP): (510) 642-5700
- TTY/TDD (for hearing impaired): (510) 643-1233
- View more department phone numbers on our Contact Us web page.
- Student Athletes
- API Students
- Black Students
- Students with Disabilities
- Graduate Students
- Graduating Students
- Gynecology Services
- International Students
- Latinx Students
- LGBTQIA+ Services
- Muslim Students
- New Students
- Parents of UC Berkeley Students
- SSWANA Students
- Transgender Care
- Undergraduate Students
- Visiting Scholars and Postdocs
- Undocumented Students