Crisis Resources

 Mental Health Crisis Support and Resources 

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) 

  • Students with urgent needs should call (510) 642-9494 to speak with a counselor.

Social Services

  • For urgent concerns, related to sexual assault, interpersonal violence, pregnancy, disordered eating, or alcohol and other drug issues, please contact Social Services at (510) 642-6074 for an appointment
  • Please inform the front desk that you have an urgent concern.

When UHS is closed:

  • Call counseling after-hours support line at (855) 817-5667
  • For Non-University affiliated crisis/suicide prevention hotlines:
    • Crisis Support Services of Alameda County (800) 309-2131
    • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-TALK (8255)
    • Or see more resources on our emergency community page
  • Information on suicide prevention
  • For guidance when helping a student who appears in a crisis, see our Mental Health Handbook

Urgent: Sexual Assault 

In the event that you or someone you know is sexually assaulted, please do the following:

  • Get to a safe place first
  • Do not shower or change clothes
  • Call someone you would like to have with you
  • Call the police if you decide to report the assault and they will accompany you to the hospital for medical care and arrange for an advocate to be with you

For support and reporting options, call Path to Care at (510) 643-2005

To better understand resources at Tang following a sexual assault, see our flow chart.

Interpersonal Violence (Domestic Violence)

  • When UHS is open:
    • Come to Urgent Care at Tang for medical Care.  With your consent, additional counseling support can meet with you there.
    • Bring a friend or family member for support, if desired
    • Get immediate medical attention at the nearest emergency room
    • Call Path to Care (510) 643-2005: comprehensive support and help with restraining orders and emergency shelters

  •  When UHS is closed
    • If you or others are in immediate danger, call campus police (510- 642-3333) or local police. Police can help with safety concerns and temporary restraining orders

Campus Crisis

  • The Dean of Students team serves as the UC Berkeley campus liaison for family, friends and University officials when a student passes away.
  • CAPS offers support to campus after student deaths and other traumatic events.   CAPS can consult with you about the situation and can help assess what is needed. Counselors frequently reach out to impacted students/staff and facilitate groups to provide support and healing. 

Request for counselor support:

  • Mon – Friday 8am – 5pm
    • Call CAPS and ask to speak with the crisis coordinator or another manager
    • Information about reactions to trauma
  • When UHS is closed:
    • Call after hours support line at  (855) 817-5667
    • Ask that a CAPS manager be contacted.