Information for Visiting Scholars + Postdocs

Welcome to Berkeley, Visiting Scholars, Postdocs, and families!

For more information about the Visiting Scholars and Postdocs Affairs Program (VSPA), visit the VSPA website, contact VSPA at (510) 643-9681, or email Also, see the Berkeley International Office

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers

VSPA-appointed visiting scholars and student researchers and their spouses can access limited healthcare services at UHS on a fee-for-service basis. For more information, see our eligibility chart as well as the information provided below.  

View the VSPA website for insurance requirements and options (not managed by University Health Services). If you have any questions about the plans or new insurance requirements, please contact Gallagher Benefit Services at (800) 254-1758.


Health and welfare benefits for postdoctoral scholars are administered by the campus Human Resources office. For more information, visit the Postdoc Benefits page. Please direct questions to your department's benefits coordinator or the Postdoctoral Benefits Coordinator. University Health Services does not administer any of these benefits. 

J Visa Exchange Visitors

See Health Insurance Requirements for J-1/J-2 Visitors.

Additional Health and Welfare Services for Visiting Scholars & Postdocs:

Breastfeeding education and support

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs and their dependents are eligible for the services offered by the Breastfeeding Support Program including breastfeeding classes, breast pumps (discount off retail), and lactation rooms on campus. 

Crisis/mental health counseling

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs are eligible for services offered by Employee Assistance. Call (510) 643-7754, Monday - Friday, 8 am-5 pm. Confidential messages may also be left with Employee Assistance 24 hours a day. A counselor will respond on the next business day.

Elder care needs

Individual counseling and national and local resource links are available through the Elder Care Program.

Medical care at the UHS

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs should seek medical care through their primary care providers outside of the Tang Center. We do not submit claims to your insurance. 

Eligible for these services: International Travel ClinicWellness ProgramWork/LifeEmployee AssistanceWorker's Compensation and Career Counseling at the full fee-for-service rates. Please see our eligibility chart

If you are injured on the job, see work-related injury or illness below. 

Support services

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs are eligible for most of the support services provided to faculty and staff. See Be Well at Work Faculty/Staff Health Programs at Work for more details. 

Self-care: staying healthy while at UC Berkeley

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs are eligible for services offered by Be Well at Work - Wellness Program. Also see Health Topics.

Travel planning: immunizations & health care advice

Call (510) 643-7177 for an appointment with the International Travel Clinic. This is a fee-for-service.  

Twelve-step, community-based meetings and support groups (AA, etc.)

See Community-Based Support Groups for the current schedule of meetings. 

Workshops and training

Visiting Scholars and Postdocs are eligible to attend the workshops and training offered for faculty and staff.  

Work/life balance 

See Work/Life Program. 

Work-related injury or illness 

  • For emergencies, call 911. 
  • For urgent treatment of a work-related injury or illness, come to the UHS Urgent Care at 2222 Bancroft. 
  • For non-urgent medical care for a work-related injury call (510) 642-6891 for an appointment with the Occupational Health Clinic.