New Student Health

Welcome to UC Berkeley, New Admits!

University Health Services (UHS) provide comprehensive medical, mental health, insurance, and health promotion services to all UC Berkeley students, regardless of insurance. We have over 300 nurses, nurse practitioners, doctors, health educators, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, peer-to-peer student health workers, and more. We are here to help you be well so that you can do well at UC Berkeley.

Step 1: Learn about Requirements & Deadlines

TB and Immunization Requirements

All incoming and re-admitted students must satisfy immunization and TB clearance requirements as mandated by the UC Office of the President before the start of their first semester. The deadline for new and re-admitted students to comply is July 31 (if starting in Fall), and December 31 (if starting in Spring). Failure to comply by the deadline will result in a late fee and may block your enrollment in classes for the following semester.

For more information, please visit the Mandatory TB & Immunization Program webpage.

Health Insurance Requirements

All registered UC Berkeley undergrad and grad students are automatically enrolled in the Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) every fall semester to meet the University of California’s health insurance mandate set by the UC Regents. The SHIP coverage period is August 1 through July 31. If you have comparable health insurance that meets the SHIP waiver criteria and do not wish to have dual coverage, you can submit an online waiver application to waive your enrollment in SHIP. The waiver must be filled out annually. The deadline to waive without a fee is July 15. The deadline to waive with a fee is August 15. No waivers will be accepted after August 15. 

Learn more about SHIP:

Step 2: Plan Ahead

  • Bring a health summary from your healthcare provider if you have chronic health problems (such as asthma or diabetes). This helps UHS staff provide you with the best possible care. We also suggest you make an appointment to establish care with a provider before you become ill if you have ongoing health needs. Call (510) 642-2000 or visit the eTang portal for an appointment.
  • Bring enough of your ongoing medications for the first month of school, and bring a copy of the prescription with you. Plan ahead for refills.
  • Bring a first aid kit, including a thermometer. You can also stop by the UHS pharmacy to purchase first aid kit items. Learn more on our Over-the-Counter medication webpage
  • Make a wellness plan - The best time to start a wellness/stress management routine is when you are not under duress. Before the semester begins, consider 1) Identifying your support system, 2) Exploring campus resources for health and wellness, 3) Finding campus resources that fit your specific needs, 4) Finding activities that bring you joy and connection, 5) Identifying who/where you will ask for help and support when you need it.

Step 3: Get Informed / Review Resources

  • Fees for services - ALL UC Berkeley students can use UHS services REGARDLESS of insurance.
  • Student services A-Z - UHS offers a variety of services for students, from primary care visits to career counseling and physical therapy.
  • Mental health - Counseling visits at UHS are free of charge and all students have access to mental health services regardless of insurance. Additional mental health resources at UHS include 1) group counseling, 2) Let's Talk consultations, 3) career counseling, as well as, 4) off-campus referrals, 5) 24/7 advice nurse, and more.
  • Health Promotion - Health Promotion offers a variety of services including Health Coaching sessions for FREE. Discuss your health goals and make a plan with one of our professional health coaches.
  • Getting involved - At UHS, students can join: 1) Peer Education Programs, 2) Volunteer Programs, and 3) Student Advisory Boards.

Step 4: Stay Connected

Don't miss important updates from UHS! Follow us on social media and sign up for our newsletter:


What is the Tang Center? Is it the same thing as UHS?

Our department is University Health Services (UHS) and the main building we are located at (2222 Bancroft Way) is called the Tang Center. We have some satellite offices for counseling or nutrition drop-in and they are not located at the Tang Center but they are still a service from UHS. Everything at the Tang Center is part of UHS but UHS is more than the Tang Center.

If I don't have SHIP, can I still use UHS services?

Yes, all students can use the UHS services regardless of insurance. If you have SHIP, there is less paperwork for you because our team takes care of it. If you have other insurance, you can use our services and file for reimbursement with your own insurance.

Where are you located?

We are located at 2222 Bancroft Way (two blocks away from Bancroft Way and Telegraph Ave).


UHS Resources

Campus Resources