Insurance After Graduation

Whether you are graduating or leaving the University for a period of time, it is important to think about your insurance options. SHIP cannot be continued after the last day of coverage following graduation, but here are some options that might be available:

  • If under the age of 26, one may be able to stay under their parent or guardian's insurance plan as a dependent. 
  • Covered California or State-Exchange Plan.
  • Medical or Medicaid.
  • Purchase a private insurance plan
  • Enroll in one's employer-based insurance plan.
  • Links to some of these recommendations can be found in the flyer to the right.
  • Blue Shield of California concierge service can be utilized.

The ending of SHIP is considered a qualifying event that opens a 60 day special enrollment period for you to enroll in other insurance plans. To learn more about your options on Covered California and Medi-Cal or to find an insurance navigator to assist you with Covered California, please visit the Covered California site. Please note, this is an external website. Other states have a website for their exchange plans as well. We would suggest reaching out to your county, parish, or city hall for assistance.  Please also see Medi-cal and Covered California Frequently Asked Questions.

If you also have benefits through UC Core, please see UC Berkeley Health & Welfare Plans webpage for more details. 

Please Note:
This information is provided as a service to students. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company or plan.

The SHIP Office is available to help you understand your insurance options after graduation.  Contact us at:

Phone: (510) 642-5700 
Email: sends e-mail)

Send a secure message 
through the eTang patient portal