Are you graduating or leaving UC Berkeley?
Whether you are graduating or leaving the University for a period of time, SHIP cannot be continued after the last day of coverage following graduation (July 31). The ending of SHIP is considered a qualifying event that opens a 60-day special enrollment period for you to enroll in other insurance plans.
Here are some options that might be available:
- If under the age of 26, one may be able to stay under their parent or guardian's insurance plan as a dependent
- Covered California or State-Exchange Plan
- Medical or Medicaid
- Purchase a private insurance plan
- Enroll in one's employer-based insurance plan
- Blue Shield of California concierge service can be utilized
If you also have benefits through UC Core, please see UC Berkeley Health & Welfare Plans webpage for more details
To learn more about your options on Covered California and Medi-Cal or to find an insurance navigator to assist you with Covered California, please visit the Covered California site. Please note, this is an external website. Other states have a website for their exchange plans as well. We would suggest reaching out to your county, parish, or city hall for assistance. Please also see Medi-cal and Covered California Frequently Asked Questions.
Please Note: This information is provided as a service to students. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company or plan.