Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
(Formerly known as CPS)
CAPS offers short term counseling for academic, career, and personal issues and also offers psychiatry services for circumstances when medication can help with counseling.
There is no charge to get started, and all registered students can access services regardless of their insurance plan.
We are committed to supporting your academic success and self-development as a student at UC Berkeley.
Our highly skilled and culturally competent team is here to serve you with a wide range of programs. No problem is too big or too small.
CAPS Services Update
Current Hours & Services
- Counseling visits are available by phone or video.
- New To CAPS? - Students who need support and do not have an assigned counselor should call (510) 642-9494 to schedule a phone appointment or book a telephone triage appointment through eTang.
- Follow Up Appointments - Students who have scheduled follow-up appointments should check their secure messages for updates from their counselors and information about phone vs video visit options.
- Drop-in urgent counseling has been suspended at our physical location in the Tang Center but it is being conducted by phone. Students with urgent concerns should call (510) 642-9494 to speak with a counselor as a first step.
- CAPS hours are currently 10am-4pm Monday - Friday.
- Many of our satellite offices are closed due to building closures. Please check your specific location. All Let's Talk drop-in at satellite locations has been suspended until further notice. Virtual Let's Talk is now available on Zoom with various counselors.
- For after-hours support, please call the 24/7 line at (855) 817-5667
Due to COVID and travel and visa restrictions at this time, we are aware that not all
students are in Berkeley and some students are studying rmeoately outside of California and the US. CAPS counselors are happy to consult with you by phone about your needs.
We may not be able to provide brief counseling remotely but we will help you find resources in your community using your insurance plan.
Other Emergency Resources