Eating on a Budget
- UHS Nutrition Team Recipes: these recipes were chosen with the college student in mind and they have a simple, economical, and nutrition focus.
- Eating Less than $50/week: menu for omnivores and a menu for vegetarians
- No-Cook Recipes Video from the Nutrition Outreach Workers
- What's Cooking - USDA Mixing Bowl: a simple recipe search engine
- Good and Cheap - Eat Well on $4/Day Recipe Book by Leanne Brown: some recipes may require more ingredients and time compared to the USDA Mixing Bowl Website
Tips, Ideas, and More
- Affordable Groceries near UC Berkeley campus
- Budget Eating Swaps & Tips
- Campus Microwave Map
- Savvy Grocery Shopper Tip Sheet
- The Health Consequences of Undernourishment
- UHS Nutrition Events, including FREE food/cooking demos and drop-in nutrition counseling sessions, and more!
- Nutrition Outreach Workers blog posts and videos related to eating on a budget
- Cal Fresh - a nutrition program that helps you buy healthy foods. Cal Grant or Work-Study required. Students with meal plans are not eligible.
- Food Assistance Program. need-based funding provided to students ineligible for CalFresh
- UC Berkeley Food Pantry: emergency food relief resource for students short on money and/or access to nutritious foods
- Bears for Financial Success: a great resource for students if you have never made a personal spending plan or would like assistance managing your current budget.
Eating Disorders and Prevention
- Get help on campus: UHS Eating Disorder Treatment Team
- Do you have an eating disorder? Take this screening
- Help a friend or family member
- Learn more from the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Body image information from the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Watch Embodied, a talk by Connie Sobczak recorded during Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2019. Learn more about Connie and The Body Positive.
- Learn about negative body talk and how to combat it in this video by UHS Nutrition Outreach Workers and blog post by UHS dietitian.
- Read UHS' thoughts on the myth of the freshman 15, and the body image blues.
- Learn the principles of Health At Every Size at the Association for Size Diversity and Health and UHS blog post.
- Learn about the practice of mindful eating at The Center for Mindful Eating.
- Request a body image or mindful eating presentation by our team for your club or group.
- How to build a balanced meal
- Individual nutrition counseling is available with Toby Morris, UHS Clinical Dietitian, for any nutrition-related health issue. Schedule an appointment by calling (510) 642-2000 or online at eTang. Call Toby at (510) 642-5075 with questions. See nutrition appointment fees.
- Schedule a health coaching session with UHS Health Educators. Coaching sessions offer the flexibility of one to four hour-long informal sessions to assist in creating a plan with specific goals and assess progress towards those health goals.
- Find general nutrition information on the USDA's Choose My Plate website.
- The Berkeley Student Food Collective is a great source of local and organic produce and groceries on campus.