Recommended Online Well-Being Resources
Below are recommended online resources, including some interactive self-assessment tools, organized by health topic.
- Vital Signs: Blood Pressure and Heart Rate
- National Institutes of Health's National Heart, Lung, and Blood Insititute (NHLBI)
- Resource for understanding high blood pressure, keeping your blood pressure under control, and making key lifestyle changes, including the DASH eating plan, to lower your blood pressure. Also includes downloadable resources and written education materials available free of charge.
- Guide to Lowering Blood Pressure with DASH Eating Plan from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Cancer Prevention and Resources
- Colorectal Cancer Risk Assessment Tool
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool l
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer information including cancer facts, prevention and detection, tobacco cessation guide, food and fitness information and information on getting involved in the fight against cancer.
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- Scientific-based Information and recommendations for cancer prevention through diet and nutrition.
- National Cancer Institute
- Downloadable publications and fact sheets about nutrition and cancer prevention, including high fiber, low fat recipes for your favorite foods.
Cholesterol, Heart Disease, and Stroke
- Heart Disease Risk Assessment (American College of Cardiology)
- Heart Attack/Stroke Risk (American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology)
- Heart Attack Risk Calculator (American Heart Association, American Stroke Association)
- American Heart Association
Assess your risk for a heart attack or stroke and find information about prevention. Site also includes an A-Z reference guide containing topical information and explanations of medical terminology.
- Stroke Risk Quiz
- Stroke Warning Signs (from American Heart Association)
- National Stroke Association
- Comprehensive information about strokes, including the most common signs and symptoms of having a stroke, treatment, rehabilitation and recovering, prevention, and caring for family members who have suffered from stroke. Also includes links to professional resources, clinical trial information, and other prevention programs.
Diabetes and Prediabetes
- Prediabetes Risk Test
- Diabetes Risk Calculator
- American Diabetes Association
- Nutrition guidelines for those with diabetes, as well as healthy recipes and tips for healthy restaurant eating.
- Diabetic Lifestyle Online Magazine
- An online monthly magazine for people who want to better understand diabetes and learn how to live well while caring for this chronic disease. This site provides up-to-date health information, recipe ideas, and a supply center featuring items and services to help you take better control of your health.
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Affiliated with Harvard Medical School, Joslin Diabetes Center focuses on the research, care, and education of diabetes prevention and management.
- Some of the UC plans offer resources to reduce the risk of prediabetes or manage diabetes:
- Health Net – Free, 16-week online program called Omada, which includes a wireless scale and pedometer.
- Kaiser Permanente – Online customized program called Care for Diabetes.
- UC Care – Free Condition Management Program for Diabetes, which includes one-on-one coaching and support, educational resources and online tools, and a complimentary blood glucose meter for those with diabetes.
- Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes: Prevention and Management -- educational handout from Be Well at Work -- Wellness Program
Family Health History
- My Family Health Portrait - A tool from the Surgeon General. You can enter your family health history, learn about risks that run in families, print and share with your family or health provider, and save the information.
- Microsoft Health Vault - a place to store and share health information online.
National Headache Foundation - Information, education, and research on headaches.
Nutrition and Eating Well
Recommended online nutrition resourcesto help you address eating well and other nutrition concerns.
- Foundation for Osteoporosis Research & Education
- A non-profit resource center dedicated to preventing osteoporosis through research and education of the public and medical community to increase awareness of risk, detection, prevention and treatment. Education programs include lectures, conferences, and newsletters, available on this website. The Foundation is also provides "state of the art" bone density testing
- National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center
- The NIH ORBD~NRC mission is to provide patients, health professionals, and the public with an important link to resources and information on metabolic bone diseases, including osteoporosis, Paget's disease of the bone, osteogenesis imperfecta, and hyperparathyroidism.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation
- The National Osteoporosis Foundation is the leading nonprofit, voluntary health organization dedicated to promoting lifelong bone health in order to reduce the widespread prevalence of osteoporosis and associated fractures, while working to find a cure for the disease through programs of research, education and advocacy.
Recommended online physical activity resourcesto help you build a physically active lifestyle by fitting fitness into your workday.
Pregnancy and Lactation
Please see our Breastfeeding Support Program page.
Smoking Cessation Resources
Smoking cessation - a comprehensive list of resources and referrals to quit smoking programs available through a variety of delivery methods including online, telephone counseling, local classes, and links to programs offered through the health plans.