Managers and Supervisors - Wellness at Work
Managers and supervisors have a role to create a healthy work environment, support staff in achieving and maintaining healthier lifestyles, and address workplace health and safety issues. Be Well at Work - Wellness Program provides resources to give you the skills and tools you need.
1) Supporting Wellness at Work (pdf)
This one-page checklist provides managers and supervisors with simple steps for creating a safe and healthy workplace.
2) Wellness Program - Current Calendar
Be familiar with the programs and resources offered each semester from Be Well at Work -- Wellness Program.
3) Be Well at Work resources for managers and supervisors
One stop shop for all the resources available from Be Well at Work -- Faculty/Staff Health Programs to help managers and supervisors with creating a healthy work environment.
Training for Managers and Supervisors
Training and Workshops for Departments
Be Well at Work Programs offers training and consultation for departments.
The Wellness Program offers the following programs for delivery in departments and/or for staff meetings. Your Wellness Ambassador is a valuable resource to help coordinate bringing wellness into your unit.
- Activity breaks for meeting and events
- Know Your Numbers Health Screening
- Fitness -- Get Fit in 7 Minutes, Active @Work
- Nutrition -- Sugar Savvy, Eat Well @ Work, Nutrition Essentials for Healthy Living
- Hands-on cooking workshop
Healthy Meetings and Events
Planning Healthy Meetings and Events (pdf), a one page checklist to help managers and supervisors ensure meetings are productive and healthy.
- Healthy Meetings & Events -- comprehensive resource for planning healthy meetings
- UC Berkeley Healthy Meeting & Event Guide (pdf)
- Activity breaks for all types of meetings, including standing, stretching, breathing/relaxation, and movement such as Instant Recess or walking breaks.
- Healthier Potlucks and Celebrations (pdf) to share with staff
- Eat Well Berkeley caterers to use when planning meetings and events
- Shopping lists for healthier options to provide at meeting offering breakfast, lunch, or snacks typically available grocery stores
Healthy Office Program
The Healthy Office Program offers supervisors:
- Fact sheets to share with staff on wellness, stress management, computer ergonomics, back health, and office safety
- Referrals to related campus resources
Supporting Active Lifestyles at Work
Supervisors and managers can create a healthy culture that enables staff to meet the minimum recommendation of being active 30 minutes a day most days of the week. For many, adding just 10-minutes of physical activity several times a day, or taking the stairs, is often the first step to building an active lifestyle.
Activity breaks to make meetings more productive, for use in small office spaces, for energy breaks.
- Stair signs to post in and around the office and near stairs.
- Also see: Supporting Wellness at Work (pdf), a one-page checklist with simple steps for managers and supervisors to create a safe and healthy workplace.
Wellness Ambassadors are staff volunteers that help create a healthy workplace by assisting managers and supervisors to promote Wellness Program activities and resources.