Faculty/Staff Disability Management

Be Well at Work homedisability management servicesemployee assistanceelder careergonomicsoccupational healthwellnesswork life

Chapter 2: When Injury or Illness Occurs at Work

You want to be prepared when an injury occurs at work. The following is a checklist you may use as a supervisor to ensure the proper steps are taken. Additional information is provided following the checklist.

Supervisor's Checklist

Step 1: Address medical issues

Emergency Care (serious injury, threatening to life or limb)

  • Dial 911 or or 2-3333 for campus police
    Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) and Disability Management must be immediately notified if injury results in fatality, inpatient hospitalization, loss of any body part, or possible permanent disfigurement.

Acute Care (non-emergency)

  • Direct employee to the Tang Center (2222 Bancroft Way)
    • Urgent Care Clinic (2-3188) - including first-aid care
    • Occupational Health (2-6891)
      (If medical care is needed after clinic hours, please direct the employee to Alta Bates Medical Center's Emergency Room (2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley) or the emergency facility of his or her personal health plan)

Step 2: Address hazard

Investigate the accident and address the problem.

  • Correct any immediate hazards to prevent further injuries.
  • Do NOT discard equipment or furnishings that caused injury.
    • Remove the equipment from service.
    • Tag the equipment for identification.
    • Contact EH&S (2-3073) for inspection.
  • Provide accident summary and corrective actions taken to department safety committee.

Step 3: Complete documentation

Within ONE working day of your knowledge of the injury, do the following:

  • Complete the Employer's Report of Incident
  • Do NOT give this form to the employee to complete.
  • Fax the completed form to Disability Management (fax # 2-6505).
  • Keep a copy for departmental records.

Step 4: Address payroll issues

To ensure prompt and accurate payment of benefits, if your employee loses time from work (beyond the date of injury), please do the following:

  • Inform your department's payroll unit.
  • Inform Disability Management:
    • 3-9403 (last names beginning with A-L)   
    • 3-6921 (last names beginning with M-Z).

Step 5: Follow up

If off work, remain in contact with your employee and express your hope of return to work as soon as medically possible. Discuss a mutually convenient time to call.

Step 6: Return to work

Discuss possible accommodations, if necessary, when your employee is medically able to return to work.

  • Document accommodation discussions.
  • When your employee returns to work, immediately inform Disability Management.
  • If you need assistance with reasonable accommodations, contact Disability Management.

Medical Treatment/Facilities

Emergency: If the situation is immediately threatening to life or limb, get emergency care.

On Campus: dial 911 for paramedic assistance or 2-3333 for campus police. 
Off Campus: use the nearest available medical facility for care.

Make sure the employee tells the treating physician or other appropriate medical facility staff that the injury happened while working. Have the employee provide the names of his/her department, direct supervisor and the University's Workers' Compensation administrator, Sedgwick, P.O. Box 14533, Lexington, KY 40512-4533, 1-800-225-2998.

UHS Tang Center
Urgent Care:
 For serious injuries not threatening to life or limb, urgent care is available on a drop-in basis at the Urgent Care Clinic at the University Health Services, Tang Center at 2222 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94720, (510) 642-3188. The entrance for Urgent Care is on Durant Ave. Urgent Care is open Monday through Saturday during fall/spring and Monday through Friday during summer and winter break. If UHS is closed, employees may use Alta Bates Medical Center’s Emergency Room located at 2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705 or the emergency room of their personal health plans. Follow-up visits for medical care can be scheduled with the Occupational Health by calling (510) 642-6891.

Non Urgent Care: An injured employee may be treated at Occupational Health by calling (510) 642-6891 for an appointment, or may be treated by his/her personal physician. 

Employee Personnel Files

To protect the employee’s privacy, any documents that relate to an injury or disability must be kept in a separate file from the rest of an employee’s personnel file. Further guidance can be found in Human Resources Personnel File Guidelines.