Faculty/Staff Disability Management

Be Well at Work homedisability management servicesemployee assistanceelder careergonomicsoccupational healthwellnesswork life

Employee Information

What do I do if I am hurt on the job?

Report the Injury to your Supervisor 
Tell your supervisor right away.  Your supervisor will then report your injury through the University's online Employer's First Report (EFR) system.  If your injury developed gradually, tell your supervisor as soon as you realize that it may be job-related. Reporting your injury promptly helps to prevent delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need to prevent further injury.

Get Medical Treatment for Emergencies: (life-threatening injuries) 

  • On campus: call 911 for paramedic assistance or 2-3333 for campus police.
  • Off-campus: use the nearest available medical facility for care. 
  • Tell the medical staff that the injury happened while working and provide the names of your department, direct supervisor, and the University's Workers' Compensation administrator (Sedgwick, P.O. Box 14533, Lexington, KY 40512-4533, 1-800-225-2998).  

Urgent Care: (serious injuries but not life-threatening)
Urgent care is available on a drop-in basis at the Urgent Care Clinic at the University Health Services, Tang Center at 2222 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94720 (510) 642-3188. Parking for the Urgent Care clinic is on the Durant side of the Tang Center. See Urgent Care for hours. If UHS is closed, you may use Alta Bates Medical Center’s Emergency Room located at 2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705, or the emergency room of your health plan. Follow-up visits for medical care can be scheduled with the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) by calling (510) 642-6891.  

Non Urgent Care: 
You may be treated at Occupational Health by calling (510) 642-6891 for an appointment or may be treated by your physician. "Personal physician" is defined as a “medical or osteopathic physician, chiropractor or licensed acupuncturist who has previously directed the medical treatment of the employee, and retains his/her medical records including the medical history.”  

If your physician indicates that your work-related injury/illness requires treatment beyond first-aid (or you lose time from work), Disability Management will mail you a Workers' Compensation Claim Form (DWC-1). You will be asked to complete the Employee section of this form and return it to Disability Management, who will complete the Employer section and send a final copy back to you. 

What happens after a work-related incident is reported?

1) The University of California utilizes a third-party company, Sedgwick, to administer our Workers' Compensation claims. A claims administrator from Sedgwick will contact you to discuss your claim, investigate the incident, and determine compensability. This Sedgwick administrator will notify you by mail of the initial status of your claim (e.g., accepted, denied, delayed for further investigation).   

2) If approved, temporary disability (TD) benefits are paid until you return to work or your medical condition reaches Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI).  

3) If you are unable to perform your usual and customary job on a temporary or permanent basis, your restrictions will be reviewed for possible accommodation through transitional or alternative work. Disability Management works with you and your supervisor to identify the appropriate accommodation so that you can return to work. 

4) If you are permanently disabled, you may be eligible to receive permanent disability (PD) benefits. The percentage of PD is determined using State guidelines and an assessment of your permanent impairment and limitations. Future medical treatment may also be awarded, depending on medical recommendations.  

Any person who makes or causes to be made any knowingly false or fraudulent material statement or material representation to obtain or deny workers' compensation benefits or payments is guilty of a felony.  

For further assistance, please contact Disability Management. 

Additional Information

To learn more about your Workers' Compensation benefits, please see: