New Students and Your Health

image of tang centerWe're University Health Services, the student health center at UC Berkeley! Welcome to Cal!

University Health Services (UHS) provides comprehensive medical, mental health, insurance, and health promotion services to all Berkeley students. 

We have over 200 nurses, nurse practitioners, doctors, health educators, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, peer-to-peer student health workers, and more!

We're so excited for your next chapter and want to help you be well to do well!

How to Get Oriented to UHS Recommendations

Watch the videos below and learn about:

  • How to Transition Well to Berkeley
  • The Mandatory TB & Immunization Requirements you have as a new student
  • How the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) works and how get health care 

Follow us on Social Media to learn more about the health center and all the programs and services you have access to!

We help you be well so you can do well.

primary care office

All students can access UHS for any medical needs. The main building that UHS is housed in is called the Tang Center. We have primary care physicians, urgent care physicians, physical therapists, gynecologists, and specialists all in one building at the Tang Center.

Learn about all that UHS has to offer by reading Go Tang! Guide to Getting Started at Tang

group of pharmacists posing with medication and supplies
  • All students have access to the Tang Pharmacy.
  • The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) also includes dental and vision.
  • At the Tang Center, students can see optometrists, radiologists, and get lab work done.
hispanic female student talking with black female health coach

All students have access to FREE counseling and health coaching sessions.

dietitian and nutrition student at a food demo

UHS offers various outreach events throughout the year such as nutrition food demonstrations, pet hugs, blood drives, and much more.

How Do I Start Off On The Right Foot?

Tips on the Transition to College from our Counseling Staff

Starting Off on the Right Foot at Berkeley

Caring for Our Campus Community

TB & Immunizations Requirements

All incoming and re-admitted students must satisfy TB screening and immunization requirements prior to the start of their first semester.

What Do I Need to Know About the TB & Immunization Requirements

TB & Immunizations Requirements

See our webpage for the details on what's required and how to submit your health records.

Summary of Immunizations Requirements Flier

Student Health Insurance

All students are required to have insurance that meets UC requirements. Learn about our rich and comprehensive plan or how to waive.

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) 101



What is the Tang Center? Is it the same thing as UHS?

Our department is University Health Services (UHS) and the main building we are located at (2222 Bancroft Way) is called the Tang Center. We have some satellite offices for counseling or nutrition drop-in and they are not located at the Tang Center but they are still a service from UHS. Everything at the Tang Center is part of UHS but UHS is more than the Tang Center.

If I don't have SHIP, can I still use the Tang Center?

Yes, all students can use the Tang Center regardless of insurance. If you have SHIP, there is less paperwork for you as our in-house team takes care of it. If you have other insurance, you can use our services and file for reimbursement with your own insurance.

Where are you located?

Our physical building is called the Tang Center and we're located at 2222 Bancroft Way (just across the Recreational Sports Facility, the gym for UC Berkeley students).