Understanding fees for services provided at the Tang Center
All UC Berkeley students, regardless of the type of health insurance they have, have full access to the services at UHS Tang Center.
Your registration fees subsidize most of the primary care and urgent care costs, however, there are office visit co-pays for all students ($15 primary care and specialty office visits, $35 Urgent Care) and fees for procedures, lab tests, x-rays and medications if they are required. UHS makes every effort to keep fees as low as possible. The fees you pay relate to your enrollment status. If you have any questions about this, please call the Cashier at (510) 642-8450.
For Berkeley SHIP members, students pay 10% of most other services and UHS submits the claim to the insurance carrier. For students with other types of health insurance, you must pay the fee in full and submit your claim to your insurance carrier for reimbursement.
Note: Services performed at the request of the patient, such as physicals, travel consultation, and immunizations for travel, have fees that may or may not be covered by insurance.
Understanding fees for services received outside of the Tang Center
Students may be referred to providers outside of the Tang Center for services provided by physician specialists, hospitals, community mental health services, diagnostic imaging centers, or other healthcare providers.
Students with SHIP insurance:
All referrals for care to be obtained outside of Tang must be approved by the Student Health Insurance Office before care is provided to ensure SHIP coverage. If your clinician refers you for care in the community, he or she will enter your Request for Approval in the database. You will be notified once the referral is approved. See How to Use SHIP.
Providers should submit itemized bills directly to the insurance carrier. Students can also submit bills to the Student Health Insurance Office. A community provider may require you to pay your portion of the fees at the time of your visit. See How to Use SHIP.
- There is a $300 plan year deductible for some services provided outside UHS. SHIP members are responsible for the first $300 of qualified charges outside of UHS each plan year. Once the deductible has been satisfied, SHIP benefits begin. All services at Tang, medical and mental health office visits, emergency room visits, urgent care center visits, and prescriptions are not subject to the annual deductible.
Students with insurance other than SHIP: Check with your plan for coverage and reimbursement.
Why does UHS charge fees?
Student medical and counseling services at UHS are funded primarily by student registration fees and some user fees (fees for services). Registration fees subsidize part of the cost of the services so that the user fees are lower than fees for medical and counseling services in the community. UHS is a non-profit service; all fees collected cover the basic operating costs of providing services.
What are my payment options?
You have three options:
- You may pay your fees by cash, check, Cal 1 Card or credit card on the day of service or within the next seven day, or charge it to the Cal Student Central billing account. If no payment is made within seven days, the charge will automatically be billed to Cal Student Central. Late fees still apply.
- If you need more time to pay your bill, you may ask the Cashier to set up a payment plan. If you do not pay your bill or arrange a payment plan within seven days from date of service, UHS will automatically bill your balance to Cal Student Central billing account. Late fees may apply.
How does the Student Health Insurance Plan help with UHS fees?
SHIP pays 90% of the UHS fees for most services covered by the plan, except for office visit co-pays. Therefore, you pay only 10% of those charges. Most UHS fees are covered by SHIP; the Cashier will notify you of any charges not covered by the Plan. If you are not enrolled in SHIP, we encourage you to consider joining next semester. The Plan is a relatively inexpensive way to reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for both routine and unexpected health care.
Do I need to file a SHIP claim after my visit to UHS?
No. Once you pay the Cashier for the portion of fees for which you are responsible (usually 10% of the total) you are done! UHS will file a claim with SHIP for the remainder of the fees.
How will I know if a claim has been paid?
You will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) by mail a few weeks after you have visited UHS. The "EOB" is sent by the insurance carrier, the SHIP claims administrator. The EOB shows how much you were charged for the service, how much you paid, and the amount paid by SHIP. If you have any questions regarding a claim, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office, (510) 642-5700, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or, currently enrolled students may send a secure message to the insurance office through our eTang patient portal.
Am I required to file a claim if I have SHIP?
No. You may choose whether or not to have the covered portion of your fees billed to SHIP. If you choose to pay 100% of your fees, please let the Cashier know as soon as you arrive at the window to pay.
What if I have more questions?
- For questions regarding fees, call the UHS Cashier at (510) 642-8450.
- For questions regarding SHIP, call the Student Health Insurance Office at (510) 642-5700 or email email@example.com, or, currently enrolled students may send a secure message to the insurance office through our eTang patient portal.