SHIP updates including no referrals needed for accessing medical and mental health care
For those that are currently on SHIP for the Spring 2020 semester, your SHIP is still effective through July 31, 2020. Note, Fall 2020 coverage begins August 1, 2020.
Given the unique situation that continues to evolve around COVID-19 the following changes are now in place until further notice to help make using your insurance and getting care easier wherever you may be:
No referrals from University Health Services are needed before accessing medical and mental health care. Most providers should not require any documentation of this, but if needed, you can take this UHS letter with you.
90-day refills are now available for most prescriptions at any pharmacy.
For students who are now away from campus and living internationally, international coverage now includes routine care along with emergency care.
The student health center (SHC) at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students. If you visit an SHC at another campus, you may need to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed for any services you receive. Please check the Student Health Services(SHS) or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website of the UC campus you plan to visit for more information about fees and filing claims to UC SHIP. You should call or email the SHS or CAPS center first to see what services are available on-site or remotely during this time.
COVID-19 testing and treatment coverage
- Coronavirus testing: Wellfleet will cover COVID-19 testing (including ER, telemedicine, urgent care and office visits) similar to a preventive benefit for fully insured plans, waiving co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance for customers when treated by in-network or out of network providers.
- Coronavirus treatment: Wellfleet is waiving out-of-pocket costs for all COVID-19 treatment through May 31, 2020. The treatments that will be covered for COVID-19 are those covered under Medicare or other applicable state regulations. The company will reimburse health care providers based on in-network rates or reasonable and customary rates, as applicable.
How to access care
Due to campus COVID-19 changes, some services at the Tang Center may be reduced or being offered virtually. Please see our reduced in-person services hours page for the latest updates. We are also posting updates to our SHIP webpage.
You can access your health insurance card and review claim status at berkeley.wellfleetinsurance.com/ship.
You can locate participating providers at berkeley.wellfleetinsurance.com/providers
Health Opportunity Fund (HOF) still Available to use until May 8
- To use HOF for your services during COVID-19, send a secure message through eTang to the Cashier Department requesting your HOF funding to be used.
- Go to Cal1 Card to check your balance. Log in, then go to view my balances for HOF to see how much you have left.
- The HOF funds can be used for any services you have received at the Tang Center with the exception of Optometry.
How to reach the SHIP Office:
Our walk-in office is currently closed, but we are responding to voicemails, emails and secure messages. Please feel free to reach out to us via email at email@example.com or send us a secure message through the eTang portal.
If you have a question regarding benefits or claims, please contact Wellfleet Insurance @ 833-302-9785.
Please remember to update your local address in Cal Central if you have moved or returned home during this time.