SHIP Updates for the 2023-24 Plan Year
NEW ID Card & Member ID
Effective August 1, 2023, new and continuing registered students enrolled on SHIP will have a new medical and prescription ID card with a new member ID. Beginning August 1, enrolled students may access their ID card at wellfleetstudent.com and on the Wellfleet Student mobile app. Log into your Wellfleet account or create a new account using your email registered with campus, student ID, and date of birth.
- Note: The dental plan (MetLife) and vision plan (VSP) member ID is the same as your new Wellfleet member ID (nine digits).
- SHIP Eligibility & Activation
- Each semester, eligible students must be enrolled in a minimum of 0.5 units to be eligible for SHIP and to begin the enrollment process. SHIP coverage will then be activated within 3-5 business days with an effective date of August 1, 2023.
SHIP Coverage Periods
Fall 2023: August 1, 2023, to December 31, 2023
Spring 2024: January 1, 2024, to July 31, 2024
- Wellfleet Member Services:
- For medical and mental health benefit and claim inquiries for services beginning August 1, 2023, contact Wellfleet Member Services at (877) 657-5033 or UCBcustomerservice@wellfleetinsurance.com.
- For medical and mental health benefits and claim inquiries for services prior to August 1, 2023, contact HealthComp Member Services (Wellfleet's third-party administrator) at (833) 302-9785.
- SHIP Referrals
Effective March 16, 2020, no referrals from University Health Services are needed before accessing medical and mental health care until further notice. Most providers should not require any documentation. However, if needed, you can take this UHS letter.
How to Access Care
- For the 2023-24 plan year beginning August, 1 2023:
- To locate in-network healthcare and mental health providers, use Wellfleet's provider search tool online or the Wellfleet Student mobile app.
- For in-network dental providers, visit the SHIP dental page for more information.
- For in-network vision providers, visit the SHIP vision page for more information.
- The student health center (SHC) at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students. If you visit an SHC at another campus, you may need to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed for any services you receive. Please check the Student Health Services (SHS) or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website of the UC campus you plan to visit for more information about fees and filing claims to UC SHIP. You should call or email the SHS or CAPS center first to see what services are available on-site or remotely during this time.
COVID-19 Testing and Treatment Coverage (effective May 12, 2023)
- At-home COVID-19 tests are no longer covered and members will need to pay the full retail cost. (For purchases made between January 15, 2022, and May 11, 2023, please see the OTC COVID-19 testing page for coverage and reimbursement details.)
- Coronavirus lab tests (due to symptoms or exposure) and treatment: Wellfleet will continue to cover services without member cost-sharing through November 11, 2023.
How to Reach the SHIP Office
- The SHIP office is located in Room 3200 in the Tang Center (third floor).
- In-Person Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9 am-12 pm & 1-4:30 pm | Wednesday: 9:30 am-12 pm & 1-4:30 pm
- Call (510) 642-5700
Phone Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: 8 am-12 pm & 1-4:45 pm | Wednesday: 9:30 am-12 pm & 1-4:45 pm
- Email email@example.com or send a secure message through the eTang portal.