Counseling Programs: Help for Personal Concerns

  • Alcohol/Drugs
  • Chronic Illness
  • Crises or Trauma
  • Depression
  • Eating Disorders & Body Image
  • Grief & Loss
  • Medication
  • Pregnancy
  • Relationships
  • Relationship Violence
  • Sexual Assault/Rape
  • Sexual Identity
  • Stress/Anxiety

  • Alcohol/Drugs See Alcohol and Other Drugs: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services for complete UHS resources.
    Chronic Illness Illness can affect one's ability to be successful with school and manage one's life responsibilities. Social Services staff are available to help students plan a realistic schedule and to develop a support system on campus and in the community.
    • Make an appointment by calling (510) 642-6074.
    Crisis or Trauma Crises can arise when we are victims of physical assault, harassment, or discrimination; are having serious drug or alcohol problem; or are feeling violent or suicidal.
    • If you are in crisis and in need of urgent care, come directly to CPS, 3300 Tang, and inform the receptionist. You will be seen by the next available counselor on duty. When Tang is closed, see Emergency and Crisis for resources or call the After Hours Assistance Line at (510) 643-7197 for assistance.

    For faculty, advisors or others helping a student who appears to be in crisis, see How to Assist the Distressed Student.

    Depression See Depression: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services for complete UHS resources.
    Eating Disorders See Eating Disorders: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services for complete UHS resources.
    Grief & Loss We all face numerous losses throughout our lives. It could be losing a job, a home, or ending a relationship. When the loss is the death of someone close to us -- someone we care about -- the loss can trigger a grieving process that can affect our way of living, both at home and at work or school.

    CPS offers confidential short-term counseling services that can support you through your grief process. CPS also provides information about and referrals to other bereavement resources in the community for students.

    Individual counseling:

    • Make first-time appointment by calling CPS at (510) 642-9494.

    Additional resources:

    Medication (psychiatric) Many emotional and mental states have a physical component. Medications can often be helpful to students who are struggling with depression, anxiety, or other difficulties with behaviors, thoughts and feelings, including self-destructive impulses or suicidal thoughts. We have a strong commitment to help students understand their difficulties and to consider a range of options to make things better.

    Medication Evaluation: Our psychiatrists can meet with students for a medication evaluation to determine whether medications might be helpful and to discuss how to combine them with therapy and other self-care. If medication is right for you, the psychiatrist can provide follow-up care, making adjustments in medication and dose when needed.

    UC Berkeley students are referred to psychiatrists by counselors at CPS. If you are interested in medications, please make an appointment to talk with a counselor.

    • Make first-time appointment by calling CPS at (510) 642-9494.
    Pregnancy See Pregnancy: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services for complete UHS resources.
    Relationships If you are troubled with a relationship problem, please make an appointment with a counselor.
    • Make first-time appointment by calling CPS at (510) 642-9494.
    Relationship Violence Relationships can be confusing, and sometimes it is difficult to know if patterns are healthy or destructive. Social Services staff can meet with you to explore your concerns. If you are in danger, they can help you develop a safety plan. Social Services staff also are available to speak with student groups on campus (classes, residence halls, etc) about this issue.

    Individual counseling:

    • Make an appointment by calling (510) 642-6074.

    Additional resources:

    • Read the brochure Relationships Shouldn't Hurt, available in UHS information racks or drop-by Social Services, 2280 Tang to request a copy.
    Sexual Assault/Rape See Sexual Assault/Rape: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services for testing information and complete UHS and campus resources.
    Sexual Identity: CPS has professional counselors who specialize in confidentially working with LGBT students who are coming out, dealing with homophobia, confused about their sexuality, and dealing with family or relationship problems. We offer:

    Individual Counseling: Counselors at CPS can talk with you about sexuality issues and can help you explore any concerns you might have related to your sexual orientation. We can also connect you with support and resources in the community. If you feel more comfortable talking to a Gay or Lesbian counselor, please mention this when making your appointment.

    • Make first-time appointment by calling CPS at (510) 642-9494.

    Couples Counseling: Relationships can be difficult, especially if you are dealing with homophobia from family or the community-at-large. We offer brief couples counseling and can help you with referrals for longer-term work. Come with your partner to Counseling Services (only one of you need to be a registered Berkeley student).

    • Make first-time appointment by calling CPS at (510) 642-9494.
    Consultation: Counselor are available for consultation with peer leaders of LGBT support groups on campus. Group leaders with concerns about particular students or with questions/concerns about group dynamics are encouraged to call CPS to talk with professional staff.
    • Call CPS at (510) 642-9494 to request a consultation.

    Workshops for Student Groups: Counseling staff are available to come to your residence hall, student group, co-op, Greek chapter, or classroom to talk about our services and lead discussions on coming out, relationships, one-night stands, talking about sex, being lesbian, gay, bi or transsexual on campus, and more.

    • Call CPS at (510) 642-9494 to request a presentation
    Stress & Anxiety See Stress & Anxiety: Medical, Counseling and Educational Services


    Back to Student Services A-Z>

    University of California seal

    Contact Info bullet Join Our Team bullet About UHS bullet Gifts bullet

    Privacy Practices bullet Disclaimer bullet Tang 101 Video bullet Meet the Staff
    Copyright © UC Regents bullet 2222 Bancroft Way, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-4300