Article 8: Health and Safety
A. GENERAL CONDITIONS
1. The University shall maintain a safe and healthful workplace by furnishing equipment and adopting methods and operations which are reasonably necessary to enable employees to carry out assigned duties in a safe and healthful manner. The University shall manage its operations in compliance with established campus/hospital/laboratory health and safety policies and procedures.
* * * * *
* * * * *
5. An employee who works more than 60% of his/her normal work schedule at a video display terminal shall normally be reassigned to other duties for a period of fifteen minutes during each four hours worked. It is understood that operational requirements, work station coverage requirements, workloads, staffing levels, leave schedules, vacation schedules and/or the provision of services to patients, clients, public or University employees may require the uninterrupted presence of the employee(s). In such situations, reassigned time will not be granted.
6. This Section shall be effective 30 days after the effective date of the Agreement: Within the first 90 calendar days of employment on the job or workstation reassignment, the University shall provide an ergonomic review of an employee's workstation for those new or reassigned employees who work more than 60% of his/her normal work schedule at a video display terminal. Such review shall be performed in accordance with local policies and procedures. The department shall provide a copy of the review to the employee, upon request, and issue a response to the employee within 60 calendar days following the ergonomic review, advising the employee of the results of the review, and which actions, if any, or alternative measures the department will implement, including expected dates of completion. If the department requires additional time to review the workstation, it shall have sixty days to perform the review. It shall advise the employee of the expected date of the additional review results and the proposed date of the subsequent department response, including the proposed date of any proposed resolution action, if any. If any action by the University is grieved or arbitrated with respect to this section 6, the remedy shall be limited to the provision of the ergonomic review and the department's required response pursuant to this section.
7. A current employee can request and receive an ergonomic review according to local procedures and request and receive a copy of the written review, if any.
8. If any action by the University is grieved or arbitrated with respect to section 6, the remedy shall be limited to the provision of the ergonomic review, as provided in section 6 above for new or reassigned employees, provision of a copy of the review to the employee and the department's required response.