Ergonomic Workstation Set-Up (A Diagram)
Preventive workstation evaluations for all faculty and staff who use a computer four hours a day or more are (1) required by the campus Health and Safety Guidelines for Computer Users, and (2) the responsibility of each department. Ask your supervisor or Department Safety Coordinator for the name of the computer workstation evaluator for your department. Free training for departmental computer workstation evaluators is offered each semester by Ergonomics. Call (510) 643-2540 for more information or for the name of your computer workstation evaluator.
How Can I Get a Computer Workstation Evaluation?
To find out who the computer workstation evaluator is for your department, ask your supervisor, Department Safety Coordinator, or call Ergonomics at (510) 643-2540.
In addition, every campus department with faculty or staff who use a computer four hours or more a day should have a departmental computer workstation evaluator. These evaluators are
- Specially trained to evaluate computer workstations according to the Campus Computer Workstation Design Guidelines.
- Updated periodically on computer workstation evaluation issues and resources.
- Encouraged to consult with the campus Ergonomics Specialist about complex workstation evaluation issues.
Ergonomic Problem Solving
Experiencing problems at your computer station? Here is what you can do:
- Assess your workstation and your work habits by using the User Friendly Workstation Diagram and Personal Workstation Checklist on this website. Implement recommended changes that you can. Ask your supervisor to help you find solutions to problems you cannot resolve on your own.
- Rotate your job tasks or take a stretch break after every half hour of intensive computer use.
- Enroll in the next "Computer Health Matters" workshop or take it online to learn more about designing a user-friendly workstation and stretches to relieve computer-related aches and pains. You can register online from our workshops page.(https://uhs.berkeley.edu/facstaff/ergonomics/classes-workshops)
- Ask your departmental computer workstation evaluator to evaluate your workstation. To find out who your departmental computer workstation evaluator is, ask your supervisor, Department Safety Coordinator, or call Ergonomics at (510) 643-2540.
- Notify your supervisor and call the campus Occupational Health at (510) 642-6891 for an appointment if you are experiencing pain, numbness and tingling, stiffness or cramping, or loss of grip strength.
Repetitive motion injuries are easier to treat in their early stages. Ignoring symptoms could lead to chronic or serious injuries. Symptoms that go away overnight are usually a sign of fatigue. Symptoms that are persistent and don't go away overnight may indicate a more serious problem. Seek medical attention if you are experiencing such symptoms.
Call UC Furniture Services at (877) 722-9090 toll free for an appointment to try out adjustable chairs, tables, and keyboard trays prior to purchase.
Call Greg Ryan at (510) 642-5549 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a Keyboard or Mouse fitting appointment.
- Tips on Ordering Ergonomic Equipment
- Campus Excess and Surplus- Used products for low cost ergonomic improvements
- Eye Exams: See Computer Eye Clinic or call (510) 642-2020 or (510) 643-2020 to make an appointment at UC Berkeley's School of Optometry.
- Sitting and Standing at the Computer