Getting Help for Students of Concern

Whether you are student, faculty, staff or just a concerned friend or loved one, you have many options for helping a student you are concerned about.

Referring a student to the Student of Concern Committee

If the student you are concerned about demonstrates the following behavior, in addition to contacting CAPS, you should contact the Students of Concern Committee. The Students of Concern Committee is a multi-disciplinary body of stakeholders from across the University that receives referrals pertaining to registered students of concern, collects additional information, and identifies and enacts appropriate strategies for addressing the situation. You may submit a report online

  • Demonstrates behavior that places anyone at risk
  • Makes worrisome comments or exhibits unusual behavior
  • Causes others to be alarmed or frightened
  • Makes others uncomfortable or uneasy
  • Appears to have lost the ability to function  

If a student’s behavior represents an immediate threat, call 911. 

Connecting a student to counseling

Encourage the student to call CAPS at (510) 642-9494 to initiate Counseling. If the student seems distressed and is not open to the idea of counseling, call CAPS to consult with a counselor.   

Students with urgent concerns, during UHS operational hours

  • During CAPS operational hours, students with urgent concerns can call CAPS at (510) 642-9494.  

Students with urgent concerns, when UHS is closed/unavailable

  • You and/or the student can call the After Hours Assistance Line at (855) 817-5667 and ask to speak with a counselor.
  • Crisis/suicide prevention hotlines: students can call 1–800–273-TALK any time of the day 
  • For a complete list of community crisis hotlines see Referral List for Crisis/Suicide Prevention Hotlines

Gold Folder and Mental Health Handbook

This resource is designed as a guide to help identify the signs of a distressed or disruptive student, know how to approach and engage the student you are concerned about, and know how to access the appropriate resources to help yourself, the student, and the campus community. See the Mental Health Handbook and Gold Folder for faculty, staff, and GSIs.

Consult with a CAPS Counselor

Counselors are available to consult with students, faculty, and staff regarding various psychological issues that may affect Berkeley students. If you are concerned about a student, call CAPS at (510) 642-9494 for a telephone consultation. Between 8 am and 5 pm, counselors are available to take your call. Please let us know the urgency of your concern.  

Helping a friend

Outreach requests

CAPS offers training and educational workshops to the campus community to help faculty and staff better assist students.  Visit Outreach and Workshop Requests to request in-person training for your group or office.
Please note that staffing is limited, especially during times of the semester when CAPS is highly utilized. CAPS is not able to accommodate all outreach requests so it is recommended that you request programs early in the semester.
We request two weeks' advance notice for non-urgent requests and encourage campus partners to request programs early in the semester, otherwise CAPS may only be able to respond to crisis-related outreach requests. 

Additional resources

make an appointment meet the counseling staffcounseling confidentialitycounseling satellite officesself help resourcesfrequently asked counseling questions