Currently, TB blood tests are the preferred method for TB clearance as they only require a phone call and a single trip to the Laboratory. TB skin tests must be read in-person 48-72 hours after placement. There is a fee for this service.
Faculty/staff: For TB testing arranged by a campus department, please contact Occupational Health for details.
Positive TB Skin Test Follow-Up
This is a follow-up or clearance appointment with a nurse for people who have had a positive TB test result and a negative chest x-ray, please call 510-643-7177 for a phone appointment with a nurse.
If you require TB testing/clearance for employment or volunteering in grades K-12, only the procedure has changed.
Please go to the UHS appointment office to meet with the nurse if:
- You were born in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Switzerland, UK, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden, Latvia or Estonia, and have not traveled outside of these countries for more than a month
- And have never had a positive TB skin or blood test or been told you had TB
Please schedule an appointment online via eTang (positive PPD follow up appointment) or by calling (510) 642-2000 if:
- You have a history of a documented positive TB skin/blood test. Bring your documentation with you to the appointment
Please make an appointment online at the Allergy/Travel Clinic during posted TB testing hours if:
- You have a history of a positive TB skin/blood test but no documentation is available
- Or you were born in any country other than those listed above or have traveled outside of those counties for more than a month