Transgender Care: Insurance
If you have the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
SHIP includes coverage for procedures and treatments to change characteristics of the body to those of the accurate gender. Learn about transgender-specific SHIP benefits and steps involved for transgender surgery.
- Fully read all insurance information. While it can feel confusing, it is important to be aware of the specific fees, policies, procedures and exclusions relevant to the benefits you are accessing.
- There is a $300 annual deductible for services that do not have a co-pay. A deductible means that you pay the first $300 and then the co-insurance applies to the remainder.
- You must also pay10% of the total cost for any health care that does not have a co-pay attached (such as surgery). However, the 10% has a cap of $3,200, meaning that if the total cost of your surgery is more than $30,000, you are only responsible for $3,200.
- Example 1: A surgery procedure where the total cost is $10,000 will cost the student $970 plus the $300 deductible (if you have not already met the deductible in that year), and the rest will be covered by SHIP.
- Example 2: A surgery procedure where the total cost is $45,000 will cost the student $3,200 including the deductible.
- We encourage you to ask your clinicians and the SHIP Office about anything that is not completely clear to you.
If you don't have the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Check with your health insurance provider to see what medical care is covered. However:
- You can still visit the Trans Care Team at Tang for the standard co-pay of $15, regardless of insurance
- The Trans Care Team can send prescriptions and lab work to outside pharmacies and labs.
- Check with your insurance to see if they can cover the $15 co-pay or any lab work or prescriptions. The biggest exception to this is Kaiser, which does not permit patients to go outside their system. Learn about Kaiser's transgender coverage.
To understand your options on campus, regardless of insurance, we suggest you make a free private appointment with Bahar Navab, Health Insurance and Information Manager, by calling the SHIP Office at (510) 642-5700.
Estimated Costs for Common Surgeries
- FTM top surgery: $10,000-$12,000*
- Hysterectomy: $10,000 to $15,000
- Metoidioplasty: $21,500-$41,000*
- Vaginoplasty: $27,000*
- Orchiectomy: $6,500
- Phalloplasty: $99,000*
- Feminizing top surgery (augmentation): $7,000
Please use these estimates as suggestions only; costs vary widely. Please note, our insurance carrier's estimated prices are based on case rates (meaning the estimate may include costs for services beyond the surgery itself, such as follow up care if needed). You are only responsible for your co-insurance (10%) and only up to the out-of-pocket maximum of $3200 per year for in-network services. Pre-authorization is required for all care. For help understanding your insurance benefits, costs of care, or pre-authorization process, please contact the SHIP office at 510-642-5700 or via email at email@example.com(link sends e-mail)(link sends e-mail). For a private consultation, ask for the Insurance Manager, Bahar Navab, when you call the SHIP office.