Scheduling Appointments at UHS
- Gender-affirming services and hormone therapy appointments with a primary care provider can be scheduled through the eTang portal. Visit the Transgender Care page for more details.
- If you need assistance, call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with a clinic nurse. The clinic nurse can arrange appointments and prepare you for your visit.
- If you receive a referral from a UHS provider, a member of the SHIP Trans Care Benefits Team will contact you to schedule a phone consultation to discuss the SHIP gender-affirming benefits, pre-certification requirements, locating in-network providers and go over any questions you may have.
Pre-certification is required for the following services:
- Mastectomy (top surgery)
- Breast augmentation (augmentation mammoplasty)
- Gender-conforming facial surgery
- Gender-confirmation (reassignment/bottom) surgery
- Fertility preservation
- Travel expenses
Pre-certification is not required for the following services:
- Hormone therapy
- Electrolysis (face and neck)
- Laser hair removal (face and neck)
- Tracheal shave
- Vocal training (speech therapy)
Estimated Costs* for Common Surgeries
- Mastectomy (top surgery): $10,000 - $12,000
- Hysterectomy: $10,000 - $15,000
- Metoidioplasty: $21,500 - $41,000
- Vaginoplasty: $27,000
- Orchiectomy: $6,500
- Phalloplasty: $99,000
- Augmentation mammoplasty (Breast augmentation): $7,000
*Please use these estimates as suggestions only; costs vary widely. Estimated prices are based on case rates, which may include costs for services after the surgery, such as follow-up care if needed.
SHIP members are responsible for the $450 deductible and any applicable co-pay and co-insurance, up to the out-of-pocket maximum of $3200 per plan year for in-network services. More benefit and coverage details can be found on the gender-affirming benefits flyer. Pre-certification is required for most care.
If you don't have SHIP
- At UHS: Registered students can visit the Trans Care Team for the standard office visit co-pay of $15, regardless of insurance. The Trans Care Team can send prescriptions and lab work to outside pharmacies and labs.
- Benefits & Coverage: Check with your health insurance provider to see what medical care is covered.
- Kaiser members: Kaiser does not permit patients to go outside their system. Learn about Kaiser's transgender coverage.