Transgender Care

Background image: photo of uhs from outside

Our goal is to ensure trans and gender non-conforming students receive the highest quality care in a supportive, respectful space.


Key services include appropriate cancer screening (PAPs, prostates, and more), STD screening, hormone therapy (Female to MaleMale to Female), and coordination of care and outside referrals. Since each person has a different story and may be at a different stage in their transition, we suggest you make an appointment with one of the Trans Care Team clinicians. This allows us to get to know you, review your medical history, and work with you to get you the assistance you need.

If you are considering hormone therapy, we strongly recommend viewing Female to Male or Male to Female before your medical visit to help you identify issues you would like to review with your clinician.


  • Initial appointment: call Appointment Office at (510) 642-2000
  • Subsequent appointments: via eTang
  • Evaluation to start hormone therapy: call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110

Name and Gender Change Options

University Health Services gets official student information directly from the Registrar’s office. Any requested changes should be requested through these processes:

Name and gender change 
Any student who wants to change any personal information in Cal Central may go to Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall. You will be asked to complete the "Request for Academic Correction Form" and must provide the proper documentation i.e court order etc. and a government issued ID that has the correct personal information (Name/Gender/DOB/SSN). The form, along with copies of the documentation then go to Academic Records to change the information; the process usually takes 3-5 business days. Once the student has completed their paperwork and the proper documentation, they may ask for Grace Padua (124 Sproul Hall, directly and she will make personally make the changes in the system.

Change of preferred name 
Students can change their “Preferred Name” ONLY ONCE at UC Berkeley by from the Registrar’s Office. This change will show on class rosters, campus directory, and Cal 1 Card without needing official documentation to make the change. If students want to change the name and/or gender with the Registrar, they will need to go through the official name and gender change process.


Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) offers a wide range of counseling and mental health services to support you around academic, personal, career and health-related concerns. You may request to work with a counselor experienced in working with trans and gender non-conforming and/or request to work with a queer-identified UHS counselor if helpful. 

Social Services provides mental health counseling and support around substance use and dependence, intimate partner violence, sexual assault and harassment, nutrition, pregnancy, sexual health, and medical concerns/conditions, while also creating space to navigate concerns related to your gender identity.

Meet the Trans Care Team

Primary Care

allison aiken Allison Aiken MD

Anna Harte Anna Harte MD

Michelle Kay Michelle Kay NP

Trans Health Consultant


Maddie Deutsch MD, who is based at UCSF and is a leading expert in the field of trans health


Laura Alie Laura Alie PsyD

 Don Capone PsyD

 Gloria Saito PhD

Social Workers

 Tobirus Newby LCSW

See Meet the Staff to learn more about our Trans Care Team. 

Healthcare Equality Index Logo

The Trans Care Team at University Health Services is here to guide and support you through this process, ensuring that your surgery will have the best possible outcome. This takes time: our best piece of advice is to take your first steps at least 3-6 months before your hoped-for surgery date.

To understand your options on campus, regardless of insurance, see our Insurance help page and Insurance Benefits for Transgender Students

If your child has recently begun to question her/his/their gender or has come out to you as transgender, chances are you have some questions.

Perhaps she/he/they have requested a preference for a new name or pronoun, or have talked with you about her/his/their desire to take hormones. See our Transgender Care: For Parents and Family resources page a list of online and print resources, as well as avenues for finding support.