UC Berkeley’s Student Health Insurance Plan (Berkeley SHIP) covers transgender-specific medical care. Check out our UHS Pride page for more resources for the LGBTQ community.
What does the plan cover?
- Hormone therapy – this will be covered under the pharmacy benefit.
- Gender confirmation (reassignment) surgery – In most cases this will be covered at 90% after your deductible for in-network services. Considering surgery? We are here to help. Review the steps to get started here. How much does surgery cost? Get cost estimates here.
- Breast augmentation (MTF top surgery)
- FTM top surgery
- Electrolysis of the neck and face
- Tracheal shave
- Limited travel expenses
New Benefits for 2017-18:
- Laser hair removal (neck, face)
- Fertility preservation
What is not covered by the plan?
Cosmetic surgery that is performed to improve gender specific appearance such as:
- Face lifts/Facial bone reconstruction
- We are here to help! Review the steps to get started here.
- For hormone therapy: Call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with the clinic nurse. S/he can arrange an appointment and prepare you for your visit.
- For surgery: We strongly advise you make an appointment with the Student Health Insurance Manager at (510) 642-5700 for a confidential benefits review of your transgender medical benefits. You will get a better understanding of current insurance coverage requirements and limitations and can be guided to the appropriate next step.
Please see our Services at Tang for Trans and Gender Non-conforming Students page or contact the SHIP office.