Fall 2019 SHIP Changes
We are excited to announce that UHS will be partnering with Wellfleet Student for Fall 2019 medical, mental health and pharmacy benefits. Our new partners are experienced in student health and bring innovative healthcare technology, plan customization, and dedicated customer service to our students and their families.
Our comprehensive SHIP plan will remain a competitive PPO plan with other top tier plans in the health insurance marketplace.
There will be no changes to the vision and dental plans.
Starting August 1, 2019, there will be some minimal benefit changes which we have highlighted below:
Addition of facial feminization surgery for transgender members
Specialty office visit copay of $25
- Physical Therapy copay remains $15
- Gynecology services at Tang remain $15
There are no changes to mental health copays (including psychiatry)
Emergency room copay of $250 (waived if admitted)
Out-of-network coinsurance of 50%
Per inpatient admission copay of $250
See the Summary of Benefits.
For those traveling, please see our Using SHIP Abroad guide.
SHIP 2019-20 Fees
Cost of SHIP 2019-20
|Undergraduates||$1,643 per semester|
|Concurrent||$1,643 per semester|
|Spouse/Domestic Partner||$1,643 per semester|
|Child||$1,643 per semester|
|2+ Children*||$3,181 per semester|
|Graduates||$2,620 per semester|
|Concurrent||$2,620 per semester|
|Spouse/Domestic Partner||$2,620 per semester|
|Child||$2,620 per semester|
|2+ Children*||$5,106 per semester|
*Metlife caps dental premium at 1 child.
SHIP 2019-20 Coverage Dates
|Fall 2019||August 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019|
|Spring 2020||January 1, 2020 - July 31, 2020|
Can I continue seeing my current providers?
- To find out if your current medical provider is in-network, please use our custom SHIP provider search.
- Please note, mental health providers are still being added to the SHIP provider search tool. If you do not see your provider listed here, please call the SHIP office to confirm their network status.
- In California, our plan uses the Blue Shield of California network.
- For information on Continuity of Care or Transition of Care assistance and resources, please see our Provider Resources page.
Mental Health Services
- To find out if your mental health provider is in network, use our SHIP provider search tool. If you do not see your mental health provider listed here, please call the SHIP office to confirm their network status as we are still updating the search tool.
- Berkeley SHIP has a special network arrangement for our mental health providers with a custom fee schedule.
- Please note mental health co-pays will not be changing for those seeing in-network providers.
How will this impact the provider network?
- The plan will continue to have a well-established provider network in the Bay Area and throughout the country.
- However, we acknowledge this may cause network disruption for some of our students. Our team has already begun taking steps to minimize these disruptions.
- Our insurance partners have committed to expanding the network where needed.
- Your current SHIP benefits and providers are effective through July 31, 2019.