Insurance Benefits for Transgender Students

UC Berkeley’s Student Health Insurance Plan (Berkeley SHIP) covers transgender-specific medical care. Check out our UHS Pride page for more resources for the LGBTQ community.

What does the plan cover?

  • Hormone therapy – this will be covered under the pharmacy benefit.
  • Gender confirmation (reassignment) surgery – In most cases this will be covered at 90% after your deductible for in-network services. Considering surgery? We are here to help. Review the steps to get started here. How much does surgery cost?
  • Breast augmentation (MTF top surgery)
  • FTM top surgery 
  • Electrolysis of the neck and face
  • Tracheal shave
  • Limited travel expenses
  • Laser hair removal (neck, face) 
  • Fertility preservation 
  • Gender conforming facial surgery including facial feminization

What is not covered by the plan? 

Cosmetic surgery that is performed to improve gender specific appearance such as:

  • Liposuction
  • Rhinoplasty (unless determined medically necessary as part of gender conforming facial surgery)
  • Face lifts/Facial bone reconstruction (unless determined medically necessary as part of gender conforming facial surgery)

How does it work?

  • We are here to help! Review the steps to get started here.
  • For hormone therapy: Call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with the clinic nurse.  S/he can arrange an appointment and prepare you for your visit.
  • For surgery: We strongly advise you make an appointment with a SHIP Case Coordinator at (510) 642-5700 for a confidential benefits review of your transgender medical benefits. You will get a better understanding of current insurance coverage requirements and limitations and can be guided to the appropriate next step. 

How to find a preferred provider?

See the list of in-network preferred providers or find providers from Wellfleet Student (listed under "Transgender Services").

Where can I go for more information?

Please see our Services at Tang for Trans and Gender Non-conforming Students page or contact the SHIP office.