UC Berkeley’s Student Health Insurance Plan (Berkeley SHIP) covers transgender-specific medical care. Check out our UHS Pride page for more resources for the LGBTQ community.
What does SHIP cover?
- Hormone therapy – this is covered under the pharmacy benefit.
- Gender confirmation (reassignment) surgery* – In most cases this is covered at 90% for in-network services after the deductible is met. Considering surgery? How much does surgery cost? We are here to help. Review the steps to get started here.
- Breast augmentation (MTF top surgery)*
- FTM top surgery*
- Electrolysis of the neck and face
- Tracheal shave*
- Limited travel expenses*
- Laser hair removal (neck, face)
- Fertility preservation*
- Gender conforming facial surgery including facial feminization*
*Subject to precertification
What is not covered by the plan?
Cosmetic surgery that is performed to improve gender specific appearance such as:
- Rhinoplasty (unless determined medically necessary as part of gender conforming facial surgery)
- Face lifts/Facial bone reconstruction (unless determined medically necessary as part of gender conforming facial surgery)
- We are here to help! Review the steps to get started here.
- For hormone therapy: Call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with the clinic nurse. The clinic nurse can arrange an appointment and prepare you for your visit.
- For surgery: We strongly advise you make an appointment with a SHIP Case Coordinator at 510-664-9089 for a confidential benefits review of your transgender medical benefits. You will get a better understanding of current insurance coverage requirements and limitations and can be guided to the appropriate next step.
How to find a preferred provider?
Please see our Services at Tang for Trans and Gender Non-conforming Students page or contact the SHIP office.