Faculty/Staff Occupational Health

Be Well at Work homedisability management servicesemployee assistanceelder careergonomicsoccupational healthwellnesswork life

Contact Us

University Health Services
2222 Bancroft Way (2nd floor)
Berkeley, CA 94720


Monday-Friday: Building/in-person hours - 10am-4pm. Closed 11:45am-12:45pm. Phones answered 7:45am-4:45pm.

For work-related injuries that require attention after-hours or on weekends, go to the Alta Bates Emergency Department (510) 204-4444. 2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, CA.

Make an OccHealth Appointment

To schedule an appointment, please call (510) 642-6891 for work-related injuries or illnesses. Appointments are available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.

To cancel an appointment, please call (510) 642-6891. If you need to cancel a medical screening appointment, please call at least 4 hours prior to the appointment.

Workers' Compensation 

Occupational Health provides treatment for University of California employees at Berkeley. Our clinical providers are uniquely qualified to give advice and treatment for work-related injuries and illnesses. Unlike most medical services, our staff has special expertise in handling the kinds of health issues that people encounter on the job. Urgent medical care and ongoing treatment for work-related injuries and illnesses are provided at no charge to the employee or the department. 

Am I eligible?

UC Berkeley individuals who are eligible to receive Workers' Compensation benefits are:

  1. Faculty and staff

  2. Graduate and Undergraduate student employees

  3. Postdoctoral scholars

    1. To be eligible, postdoctoral scholars must be registered with the campus-wide Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Program before the injury occurs. For more information, contact the VSPA Program by phone at (510) 643-9681 or by email at vspa@berkeley.edu

  4. Visiting scholars and visiting student researchers

  5. Volunteers on a case-by-case basis

    1. Volunteers must be registered within their departments before the date of injury to be eligible. 

UC Berkeley individuals who are not eligible to receive Workers’ Compensation benefits are:

  1. Campus visitors not falling into a category above
  2. Volunteers not registered within their departments before the date of injury
  3. Sub-contracted workers

Where do I go?

If you believe you have a work related injury, follow these steps to obtain treatment for your injury. If you have any questions please call the Occupational Health Clinic at (510)642-6891:


If emergency medical treatment is needed, call 911 (or (510)-643-3333 from a cell phone) immediately or go to the nearest available emergency room for medical care.  

Make sure you tell the treating physician or other appropriate medical facility staff that the injury happened while working. Have the employee provide the names of their department, direct supervisor and the University’s Workers Compensation administrator, Sedgwick CMS, P.O. Box 14533, Lexington, KY 40512-4533, (510) 302-3180. as the billing address. 

Serious, acute, non-emergency:  

For serious, acute, non-emergent injuries or illnesses, urgent care is available on a drop-in basis at the Urgent Care Clinic at the University Health Services, Tang Center at 2222 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94720 ((510) 642-3188).

The entrance for Urgent Care is on Durant Ave. Urgent Care is open Monday through Saturday during fall/spring and Monday through Friday during summer and winter break.  If UHS is closed and on Sundays, employees may use Alta Bates Medical Center’s Emergency Room located at 2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705 or the emergency room of their personal health plans. Follow-up visits for medical care are scheduled with the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) by calling (510) 642-6891.

Non Urgent Care:

For injuries not requiring immediate treatment, including chronic illnesses or injuries lasting longer than 2 weeks, an employee may be treated at the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) by appointment only.  Call (510) 642-6891 to schedule an appointment.  Alternatively, an injured worker may be treated by his/her personal physician if predesignated by the employee before the injury. "Personal physician" is defined as a “medical or osteopathic physician, chiropractor or licensed acupuncturist who has previously directed the medical treatment of the employee, and retains his/her medical records including the medical history.”

Designation of Physician:

Supervisors must have the Designation of Personal Physician for Workers' Compensation form available to employees. If the employee has chosen to fill it out, the form should be kept in the employee’s personnel file. See the Forms section of the Workers' Compensation Handbook for a copy of the Designation of Personal Physician for Workers' Compensation form.

Workers' Compensation Assistance

Disability Management | Disability Management administers the workers' compensation program and facilitates return-to-work initiatives and reasonable accommodation for employees who have, or who may develop health problems (work-related or non work-related) affecting employment

Contact Information:
University Health Services
Tang Center, Suite 2100
2222 Bancroft Way
Mail Code #4300
Phone (510) 643-7921

Sedgwick Claims Management Services | Sedgwick CMS administers claims filed by University employees and ensures that the University meets its legal obligations to our injured workers. They authorize medical treatment, decide the compensability of claims, and ensures prompt delivery of benefits due to injured employees in accordance with the California Labor Code.

Contact Information:
Sedgwick CMS
Lexington, KY 40512-4533
Phone: (510) 302-3180
Fax: (510) 302-3277