Black Health Matters
Health Resources for the Black Community at Berkeley
We see you. We seek to understand. We are here. Your life matters. Your health matters. You matter.
“Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” - Audre Lorde
One of the antidotes for post-traumatic stress due to systemic oppression is self-care. Self-care looks different for each person, outside of the workplace and on our campus. We encourage you to take the time to take care of yourselves, speak hope and life into our collective condition, and to utilize any and all resources available to you.
Here are some ideas:
- Call on your faith, your family and your friends for spiritual guidance, positive and nurturing support, and encouragement.
- Give eye contact to and greet other Black folks when you encounter them on campus. A simple hello, “the nod” can be very uplifting, especially for our new students, staff, faculty and campus community.
- Expand your network of friends by going to a coffee break or lunch with someone new.
- Check out the Greater Good Science Center. Learning about mindfulness practices such as meditation and learn more about the ever-present information about the science of happiness, gratitude, forgiveness, etc.
- Take advantage of the many counseling and psychological services and resources at the Tang Center.
- Join recreation and sports activities at RSF. Get rejuvenated by participating in the yoga classes, WorkFit classes, massages, or other fitness and wellness programs.
- Read and stay current on the issues impacting the Black Community; seek solutions and not just naming the problem.
- Remember the rejuvenating qualities of being in nature on this beautiful campus. If you are willing to engage in outdoor activity, try Outdoor Afro with Cal alum, Rue Mapp.
- Racial Trauma guided meditation (Tang Tip: try Dr. Nicole's Black Lives Matter Meditation for Healing Racial Trauma, a17 minute guided audio meditation using mindfulness, affirmation, and metta (loving-kindness).