Transgender Care

Transgender Care

Background image: photo of uhs from outside

Our goal is to ensure trans and gender non-conforming students receive the highest quality care in a supportive, respectful space.


Key services include appropriate cancer screening (PAPs, prostates, and more), STD screening, hormone therapy (Female to MaleMale to Female), and coordination of care and outside referrals. Since each person has a different story and may be at a different stage in their transition, we suggest you make an appointment with one of the Trans Care Team clinicians. This allows us to get to know you, review your medical history, and work with you to get you the assistance you need.

If you are considering hormone therapy, we strongly recommend viewing Female to Male or Male to Female before your medical visit to help you identify issues you would like to review with your clinician.


Establishing care with our Trans Care Team entails making a telemedicine appointment with one of our clinicians. You will be able to ask questions and create a plan of care that is right for you. You can get started with the Trans Care Team in one of two ways:

Need assistance navigating our Transcare services?

  • Call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with the clinic nurse. The clinic nurse can arrange an appointment and prepare you for your visit. 
  • You can self-schedule using the eTang portal. In order to be able to self-schedule for a trans care telemedicine appointment, you must have one of the trans care clinicians listed as your Primary Care Provider (PCP). Take a look at the clinicians on the Trans Care Team below and identify someone you would like to make your appointment with (this can always be changed). Once this clinician is chosen, go onto the eTang portal and make them your Primary Care Provider (PCP). In the eTang portal go to “Profile," then under “Current Primary Care Provider” click on “Edit.” This will allow you to search for the name of the chosen trans care clinician.  Once you have designated your PCP, you will be able to self-schedule on the eTang portal.


University Health Services has multiple counselors who have experience working with gender identity questions and with transgender/gender nonconforming students. See below for the counselors on the UHS Transgender Care Team. To make an appointment with a TCT provider, call the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) front desk: 642-9494. You can request to meet with a TCT counselor (see below), or with a queer-identified UHS counselor

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a wide range of counseling and mental health services to support you around academic, personal, career, and health-related concerns, while also addressing your gender-related needs.

Social Services provides mental health counseling and support around substance use and dependence, intimate partner violence, sexual assault and harassment, nutrition, pregnancy, sexual health, and medical concerns/conditions, while also creating space to navigate concerns related to your gender identity.

The Trans Care Team at University Health Services is here to guide and support you through this process, ensuring that your surgery will have the best possible outcome. This takes time: our best piece of advice is to take your first steps at least 3-6 months before your hoped-for surgery date.

To understand your options on campus, regardless of insurance, see our Insurance help page and Insurance Benefits for Transgender Students. For questions, you may also contact SHIP and ask for the SHIP Trans Care Benefits Coordinator.

Name and Gender Change Options

Edit chosen name, pronoun, and gender identity on eTang

Students have the option to edit their chosen name, pronouns, and gender identity via the eTang Patient Portal. This change is a direct result of student feedback and UHS is excited to make it a reality! To make changes to your profile, login to the eTang Patient Portal, click the 'edit' button to the right of your information, and select from a drop-down list. Visit this eTang name change page for more information and a picture how-to. 

University Health Services gets official student information directly from the Registrar’s office. Any requested changes should be requested through these processes:

Name and gender change 
Any student who wants to change any personal information in Cal Central may go to Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall. You will be asked to complete the "Request for Academic Correction Form" and must provide the proper documentation i.e court order etc. and a government-issued ID that has the correct personal information (Name/Gender/DOB/SSN). The form, along with copies of the documentation then go to Academic Records to change the information; the process usually takes 3-5 business days.

If going to Cal Student Central (CSC) is not a convenient option, students can mail a note requesting to change their gender and include proper documentation in their mailing. Requests can be mailed to: 

Office of the Registrar

128 Sproul Hall

University of California

Berkeley, CA 94720 - 5404

Regarding name changes, students can find instructions on the Office of the Registrar website under the paragraph "Change (or Correct) My Legal Name

Change of preferred name 

Students can change their “Preferred Name” at UC Berkeley by from the Registrar’s Office. This change will show on class rosters, campus directory, and Cal 1 Card without needing official documentation to make the change. If students want to change the name and/or gender with the Registrar, they will need to go through the official name and gender change process.

If your child has recently begun to question her/his/their gender or has come out to you as transgender, chances are you have some questions.

Perhaps she/he/they have requested a preference for a new name or pronoun, or have talked with you about her/his/their desire to take hormones. See our Transgender Care: For Parents and Family resources page a list of online and print resources, as well as avenues for finding support.

Get information on preventative care such as PAP smears, STI screenings, and more

See what resources are available for transgender care on-campus, off-campus, and online.

Interested in birth control? See the handout on birth control across the gender spectrum.

Tips for Graduating Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Students

Hormone Refills

The UHS Pharmacy can only provide a 30-day prescription at the time of graduation. We may be able to send a prescription to an outside pharmacy for 30-90 days after graduation, but this will depend on your current insurance status. You can use to find discounts on hormone prescriptions that don’t require insurance. GoodRX may also be cheaper than the copay for medications with your insurance. You will still need a prescription from a clinician for the medication, so be sure to plan ahead.

Hormone Prescribers Outside of UHS

  • UHS Trans Additional Resources
  • Planned Parenthood - Many provide gender affirming hormone therapy - check with your local Planned Parenthood. The closest one to Berkeley is Mar Monte.
  • Kaiser Permanente
  • Lyon Martin in San Francisco
  • Jess Pinder, NP, One Medical in Berkeley
  • UCSF Center for Excellence in Transgender Health
  • UCLA Gender Health Program
  • Cedars-Sinai Transgender Surgery and Health
  • WPATH Provider Search

Medical Records

It’s helpful for continuity of care to have your Berkeley medical records transferred to your new health care office. There is no fee for this service. Print and complete a release form or pick up a copy at UHS. The form must be filled out in its entirety. Mail to: UHS Health Records, 2222 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA, 94720. Fax to: (510) 642-1801. Drop off at Health Records front desk at UHS on the 2nd floor.

Other Resources

  • Folx Health - A virtual queer and trans health resource.
  • Pacific Center - 2712 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley, CA, 94705. Phone: (510) 848-8483
  • National Queer and Trans Therapist of Color Network
Tips for graduating trans and gender non-confirming students flyer

Meet the Trans Care Team

Need assistance navigating our Transcare services?

Call Clinic 3 at (510) 643-7110 and ask to speak with the clinic nurse.  The clinic nurse can arrange an appointment and prepare you for your visit. 

Primary Care

Anna Harte Anna Harte, MD

Amy Hockenbrock Amy Hockenbrock, MD

Sheng Hsu Sheng Hsu, NP

Katie Leach NP Katie Leach, FNP, MSN

Joann Moschella DO Joann Moscella, DO

Sandeep Lehil, NP Sandeep Lehil, NP

Trans Health Consultant

 Maddie Deutsch, MD

Maddie is based out of UCSF and is a leading expert in the field of trans health.

Mental Health Clinicians

Laura Alie Laura Alie, PsyD, Psychologist

 Mar Chung, PhD

Denise Goitia CSWDenise Goitia, LCSW

Tiffany Lin  Tiffany Hsiang Lin, LCSW, Social Worker

Jai Jones social worker Jai Jones, CSW, Social Worker

 Tobirus Newby, LCSW, Social Worker

 Darius Taylor Darius Taylor,MSW

Hez Wollin, LCSWHez Wollin, LCSW
Angelica Yi, MSW, ASW Angelica Yi, MSW


 Aurora Ortiz, NP 


Aimee Jacques Aimee Jacques, SHIP 

See Meet the Staff to learn more about our Trans Care Team.