SHIP Referrals

Don't get stuck with the bill!

An authorized referral is required prior to seeking medical services outside of Tang or your claims will be denied. Dental, vision, services provided in a hospital emergency room or urgent care clinic, prescriptions filled outside of UHS, international services, and some limited preventative and women's health visits do not require an authorized referral.

If the Tang Center provider is requesting for an outside service

The Tang center provider will submit the referral to the Student Health Insurance Office. The student will be notified within 5 business days via eTang secure messaging with the status of the referral.

If the outside provider is requesting for additional services

The specialist will need to complete the Medical Authorization Request Form. A referral determination will be faxed to the requesting provider within 5 business days. The student will be notified within 5 business days via eTang secure messaging with the status of the referral. 

Choice of provider

Approve referrals are approved for specific provider of specialty. A provider may be recommended on the referral. However, the student can select another provider within the specialty.

The student should visit an Anthem Blue Cross network provider in order to receive the maximum benefits on the plan. To find an in-network provider, the student can call the customer service number on the back of their health insurance card or visit the Anthem Blue Cross website.


Medical referrals are valid only for the semester they are authorized in. The expiration dates are as follows:

Semester Date
Fall 2018

December 31, 2018

Spring 2019

July 31, 2019

More information about referrals

Referrals are limited to the service(s) authorized. Therefore, any services not listed on the approved referral requires an additional request. All services must be approved prior to the services being rendered.

Referrals for off-campus counseling

Students with an existing CAPS provider may contact their provider with the request for a SHIP referral and/or to obtain a list of referrals to community therapists or psychiatrists. Students without an existing CAPS clinician may call the CAPS front desk at (510) 642-9494 to request a SHIP referral. Students may then pick up a copy of their SHIP referral at the Student Health Insurance Office on the 3rd floor of the Tang Center to bring to their off-campus appointment.  See our How to Get an Off-campus Referral video and our counseling referral page for more details.