International Students at Berkeley

Welcome to UHS, International Students!

Maintaining your health and wellbeing is an important part of doing well at UC Berkeley.

Our health care system may be very different from what you have experienced in your own country, and may be challenging to understand. The good news is that you have a wealth of resources here to help! 

University Health Services at the Tang Center is here to help you stay well at Cal, and help you get well if you become sick or injured. Physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists, lab and radiology technologists, health educators, and counselors are here to help you take care of yourself and to get well.

Guide to Getting Started at UHS

Our Student Guide highlights everything you need to know about getting started at the campus health services: how to make an appointment, how much (and how) you pay for services, what's free, important phone numbers, directory of our services, and how to use insurance at UHS. 

Berkeley SHIP - Student Health Insurance Plan

We know health insurance can be confusing, and our staff is here to answer any question: give us a call at (510) 642-5700 or Visit SHIP to learn about benefits (medical, counseling, pharmacy, vision and dental), definitions of American healthcare terms, insurance for spouses and/or children, and how to use your insurance plan. The SHIP Nurseline telephone nurse advice service is available to all members by phone during all hours, every day at (800) 681-4065. 

Handout: Using SHIP Abroad

Translation Services

International students sometimes feel more confident communicating in his or her native language, especially about health or when describing medical terms. Every medical exam room at the Tang Center offers a translation telephone interpreter service; please ask our staff to use this anytime during your office visit. The SHIP Nurseline also features bilingual nurses and a third-party language line (800) 681-4065. 


There is no charge for counseling at UHS and any registered student can access Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). We offer group, individual and couples counseling to help you with personal, academic, career and health-related issues, as well as urgent help for crisis concerns. Call (510) 642-9494 to get started. See our CAPS for International Students flier

Advice Nurse

Not sure what to do? Call our Advice Nurseline, staffed by our nurses Monday-Friday during the day: (510) 643-7197. When we are closed, you'll be automatically connected with an after-hours service that can guide you to the closest medical facility if you need care before we reopen. You can also send a secure message to our Advice Nurses through the eTang patient portal.

Meet our Staff

You can find out more about our medical, counseling and health education staff by viewing our online Meet the Staff directory, which includes any additional languages spoken by our providers. And remember, you can always choose who provides your care here at UHS!

Sample Fees

The cost of health care in the USA can be confusing. View our sample fees list to learn more about the costs of services at the Tang Center, and how much your SHIP benefits pay if you are enrolled in the student plan and how to pay for services. 

eTang Patient portal

Access us anywhere, anytime through eTang patient portal; send secure messages, schedule/cancel appointments, view test results, refill prescriptions, fill out forms, and more!

After Hours and Emergencies

For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. The nearest hospital emergency room is Alta Bates on 2450 Ashby Avenue in Berkeley. View our After Hours resources or call our after-hours referral line (Advice Nurse line) to find out more about how to get care when we are closed.

 Check out the Berkeley International Office website.

Mental Health Resources for International Students during COVID-19

Mental Health Resources for International Students

Statement of Support for International Students

Regarding recent news about H1B specialized workers and expelling F1 and M1 international students

July 8, 2020

University Health Services (UHS) stands with UC Berkeley to express our concern for the international students who are impacted by the new restrictions from the Dept of Homeland Security barring H1B specialized workers and expelling F1 and M1 international students who are engaged in online learning.  We understand that these new guidelines are causing distress to our international students and their families and we are appalled by the systemic and structural xenophobia, racism and oppression that they represent.  These oppressive rules come at a time that our international students are already reeling from the impact of COVID, many students being isolated, unable to travel, and concerned about family and friends at home.  We understand that these new visa rules bring new levels of uncertainty and anxiety for our students who are eager to meet their academic and career goals at UC Berkeley.

All of us at UHS wanted to reach out to express our concern and to encourage you to reach out for support.  While clarifications from the University are forthcoming, we hope you are staying healthy and safe, while seeking connection and support in any way you can.

If you would like confidential support, please use our virtual mental health services available from our Counseling and Psychological Services Team.  We acknowledge that due to state laws, as clinicians licensed in the state of California the services we can offer students that are out of state or abroad are limited. We will be updating our website soon with information on how to connect with mental health support if you are not physically in the state of California.We would also gladly lead conversations or facilitate discussions for those who want to talk during this difficult time.  Please call us at (510) 642-9494 if you would like a counselor to talk with your international student group.  

US Healthcare: Using a Complex System