Urgent: Mental Health Concerns

Although, Counseling and Psychological Services and Social Services operate on an appointment basis, a student may face an urgent concern or crisis that feels too overwhelming to wait for a scheduled appointment.

When UHS is open: 

Counseling and Psychological Services
Come to Counseling and Psychological Services on the 3rd floor of the Tang, for in-person crisis assessment and intervention. Please inform a staff member at the reception desk that you have an urgent concern. Wait-times vary depending on the time of the day, but CPS counselors will see all students in crisis on the same day they come in. You can call CPS at (510) 642-9494.

Social Services
For urgent concerns related to sexual assault, IPV, pregnancy, disordered eating, or alcohol and other drugs contact Social Services at (510) 642-6074 for an in-person appointment. Please inform the person you speak with that you have an urgent concern.

When UHS is closed: 

Call our After Hours Support line at (855) 817-5667. Also see Referral List for Crisis/Suicide Prevention Hotlines.

For guidance when helping a student who appears to be in crisis, see Mental Health Handbook for faculty, staff and GSIs.

Urgent: Sexual Assault

In the event that you or someone you know is sexually assaulted, please do the following:

  • Get to a safe place first.
  • Do not shower or change your clothes.
  • Call someone you would like to have with you.
  • Call the police if you decide to report the assault and they will accompany you to the hospital for medical care and arrange for an advocate to be with you.
  • If you are not ready to speak to the police, call the UHS Advice Nurse (510) 643-7197 or a confidential campus CARE advocate (510) 642-1988 to determine the best plan for taking care of yourself. (When Tang is closed, call Bay Area Women Against Rape: (510) 845-7273.)
  • Contact Social Services at UHS for follow-up counseling or other assistance, (510) 642-6074

Interpersonal Violence (Domestic Violence)

When UHS is open: 

Come to Urgent Care at Tang for medical care. The Urgent Care parking lot and entrance is located on Durant Avenue between Fulton and Ellsworth Streets. A UHS social worker or campus CARE advocate will be called to offer support and discuss options.

When UHS is closed: 

Get immediate medical attention. Call campus police at (510) 642-3333 or your local police for assistance. You may also go to the nearest emergency room. For referrals to local resources call the After Hours Assistance line at (510) 643-7197. For help with restraining orders and emergency shelter in Alameda County, contact the 24-hour crisis line of the Family Violence Law Center at (1-800) 947-8301.