Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)
Ask a Question, Save a Life
Over the last few years you may have become acquainted with the Look for the Signs App (for students) or the Mental Health Handbook for faculty, staff and GSIs to assist you in helping someone in distress. One component of that help is understanding when a student may be in danger of suicide. Counseling and Psychological Services would like to offer you a unique training specifically to support students who may be thinking about suicide. Each training is limited to 20 attendees.
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer — the three simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help. Each year thousands of Americans, like you, are saying "Yes" to saving the life of a friend, colleague, sibling, or neighbor.
As a QPR-trained Gatekeeper you will learn to:
- Recognize the warning signs of suicide
- Know how to offer hope
- Know how to get help and save a life
Psychological First Aid (PFA)
Training for Faculty/Staff Response Support After Tragic Events
When tragic events happen in our community, faculty and staff are often called upon to offer support to students impacted. This 1.5 hour course will help you to learn the basic skills necessary to provide common sense support after a tragedy, such as a student death. The course will also address CAPS response and how faculty and staff can collaborate with the Tang Center. This course is being offered as a way to help increase the supports campus provides in the aftermath of a tragedy and help the community begin to heal.
Upcoming 2018 Dates
- Monday, October 1 - Suicide Prevention for Students, Tang Section Club
- Tuesday, October 2 - Suicide Prevention for Faculty/Staff, Tang Section Club
- Wednesday, October 3 - Suicide Prevention for Faculty/Staff, Tang Section Club
- Monday, October 15 - Psychological First Aid for Faculty/Staff, Tang Section Club
- Thursday, October 25 - Psychological First Aid for Faculty/Staff, Tang Section Club
- Tuesday, October 30 - Suicide Prevention for Students, Tang Class of '42
- Monday, December 3 - Suicide Prevention for Faculty/Staff, Tang Section Club
Please email Aaron Cohen, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.