About Social Services

specialty, compassionate counselingSocial Services is comprised of a team of multidisciplinary and multicultural professional counselors, dietitians and support staff. 

The Social Services staff will assess a student’s immediate needs, whether they are medical, academic, legal, emotional, financial, or family-related.  

The staff then works with the student to develop a plan to meet those needs. To insure a coordinated approach to a student’s overall care, Social Services staff may collaborate with other medical, mental health or administrative staff from UHS. Counselors may also, with student consent, help facilitate arrangements with academic departments and assist with referrals to campus offices and the community.

Contact Us

UHS Tang Center, Social Services
2nd floor, Room 2280
2222 Bancroft Way #2280
Berkeley, CA 94720

Phone: (510) 642-6074

Monday-Friday: No building/in-person hours. Phones answered 9am-4pm. Virtual services can be scheduled 8am-5pm.

New to Social Services or Nutrition? Students who need support and do not have an assigned counselor should leave a voicemail at (510) 642-6074 to schedule a phone or video appointment or make a nutrition appointment.

If you have questions or want to submit documentation regarding medical withdrawal, email socsrvs@uhs.berkeley.edu or call (510) 642-6074.


Post-MSW Fellowship in Clinical Social Work

The fellowship program is committed to providing comprehensive training experiences in order to facilitate fellows' professional development and personal growth. A primary goal is to help fellows consolidate their clinical and consultation skills, and to integrate these into their professional identities as social workers. This training experience marks the significant developmental transition of fellows from trainees to well-rounded professionals who are able to function competently and autonomously and who will contribute to the field of social work and to the welfare of clients. 

More about the Post-Master in Social Work Fellowship > 

SoS Satellite Office at University Village (UVA) and the Student Parent Center (SPC)

Social Services has partnered with UVA and SPC to provide on-site assistance from social workers.

They provide:

  • Brief counseling
  • Crisis intervention and support
  • Clinical case management, along with community referrals for resources that residents may need
  • Support groups and workshops to strengthen parenting skills through use of the Positive Parenting Program (Triple P), an evidence-based training designed to increase the confidence, skills and knowledge of parents

Zenaida Hernandez, LCSW, is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with a primary office at UVA. Zenaida is at UVA on Monday, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and has drop-in hours at the Student Parent Center on Wednesdays. You may contact her at (510) 520-7031.

Jason StraussmanJason Straussman, AM, is a Post-MSW Fellow in Clinical Social Work. He is available on Mondays and Tuesdays at UVA and Wednesday-Friday at the Student Parent Center. Please call (510) 561-8199 to schedule with him.

There are no fees for services.  Students who prefer to meet on campus can schedule drop-in appointments with either one of the counselors through the eTang portal.