This is an ongoing recruitment position based on staffing needs. Position will remain posted and applications reviewed on a continuous basis.
As a national collegiate leader, the University Health Services, Tang Center provides comprehensive medical, mental health, insurance and health promotion services to all Berkeley students, and a variety of health programs for faculty and staff. Approximately 65,000 visits occur annually including Primary Care, Urgent Care, Occupational Health and Specialty Clinics. Services are designed to minimize the impact of illness, emotional distress and injury on studies and work. Coupled with health promotion and public health programs, UHS reaches all segments of the Berkeley campus community.
Find a complete, updated listing of job opportunities at UHS by searching "University Health Services" on the Berkeley Jobs website.
1. Greets patients, verifies eligibility, accurately completes registration of patients using correct forms.
2. Answers telephone and refers to appropriate personnel as required to meet patient needs: Takes clear and accurate messages.
3. Schedules/reschedules patient appointments, using computerized appointment system to maximize clinic efficiency.
4. Demonstrates priority setting ability and organizational skills.
5. Assists in maintaining smooth clinic operations and optimal patient flow: demonstrates initiative in carrying out duties.
6. Directs or escorts patients as necessary. Assures that patients leaving the area have appropriate instructions, forms and referral information.
7. Trains and orients new personnel as directed by CA Supervisor.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Intake and Patient Care
1. Obtains chart and documents appropriate health history and all patient interactions according to established guidelines.
2. Takes temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure, and rooms patient as per unit guidelines. Documents findings and reports abnormal findings to RN.
3. Assists clinicians with examinations and procedures, using sterile techniques if indicated.
4. Instructs patient in specimen collection and performs specific testing as defined by assigned unit, i.e., check visual acuity using Snellen chart, performs spirometry and urine dipstick, etc.
5. Assists with wound care according to standards of unit.
6. Fits, applies ace wraps, splints, slings, crutches and instructs patient in use of same.
7. Reports, intervenes appropriately and documents unsafe conditions and/or adverse patient conditions. Completes incident reports as per UHS protocol.
Clinic Maintenance and Supplies
1. Demonstrates ability to use equipment correctly and safely.
2. Keeps inventory of supplies and restocks in assigned area, as needed, including patient education material.
3. Informs purchasing department of stock needed as per guidelines.
4. Unpacks and shelves goods received: must be able to lift supplies.
5. Cleans rooms in assigned area as per protocol.
6. Process contaminated articles, prepares packs for sterilization, and sterilizes equipment as needed and per infection control guidelines.
1. Respects and guards confidentiality of patients and other staff members.
2. Demonstrates courteous and service-oriented behavior at all times when interacting with patients, families, and UHS staff.
3. Anticipates interpersonal conflict and intervenes to promote resolution of conflict; deals with conflict on a one-to-one basis.
4. Attends staff meetings and keeps abreast of current issues when not able to attend. Actively participates in discussion of problem identification and resolution.
5. Requests and acccepts constructive criticism.
1. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own practice.
2. Respects rights of others. Establishes effective working relationships with other members of the health care team, patients and families.
3. Demonstrates flexibility; accepts assignment willingly or discusses concerns with Clinic Manager.
4. Shares knowledge in a constructive manner.
5. Coordinates and collaborates with other members of the team to meet unit/UHS goals.
6. Demonstrates knowledge of and applies safety principles as identified by UHS.
7. Seeks to improve skills and knowledge and meet job related goals.
8. Demonstrates punctuality to work and required meetings. Maintains attendance and follows call-in policy as per UHS guidelines.
Read the full job description and apply online (search by job number on the Berkeley Jobs website).