International Summer Session Students

Welcome to Berkeley!

All international students attending a UC Berkeley Summer Session must have health insurance that includes medical benefits and medical evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage in compliance with their visa requirements. Please contact or visit the Berkeley International Office for assistance with requirements and other resources. 

The Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is not available for international Summer Session students. Please note, for international students who will be registered students in Fall or Spring, the insurance requirements to waive out of SHIP are different than the requirements for visas.

For students who did not purchase health insurance prior to travel to the U.S., we suggest that you search online for health insurance options. Below are some suggestions. Please note, we do not endorse any of these plans.

  • Home country travel insurance websites
  • US travel insurance plans for visitors to the U.S. See websites below for more information:
    • HCC Medical Services, Seven Corners -  (Note: does not meet the SHIP waiver criteria.)

Please Note:
This information is provided as a service to students. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company or plan. Contact the insurance company for plan details and the most current information about eligibility, costs and benefits. UC Berkeley’s University Health Services staff does not provide any enrollment services or guidance on requirements.

All students enrolled in UC Berkeley Summer Sessions may use the Tang Center for medical services. Students will have to pay for services at the time of service and submit a claim to their insurer for reimbursement.

Questions regarding fulling the United States IRS requirement for insurance should be directed to a ceritifed personal accountant or insurance broker.