Getting Help for a Student of Concern

Whether you are student, faculty, staff or just a concerned friend or loved one, you have many options for helping a student you are concerned about.

Referring a Student to the Student of Concern Committee
If the student you are concerned about demonstrates the following behavior (see bullets below), in addition to contacting CPS you should contact the Students of Concern Committee. The Students of Concern Committee is a multi-disciplinary body of stakeholders from across the University which receives referrals pertaining to registered students of concern, collects additional information, and identifies and enacts appropriate strategies for addressing the situation. You may submit a report online.

  • Demonstrates behavior that places anyone at risk
  • Makes worrisome comments or exhibits unusual behavior
  • Causes others to be alarmed or frightened
  • Makes others uncomfortable or uneasy
  • Appears to have lost the ability to function

*** If a student’s behavior represents an immediate threat, call 911. ***


Connecting a student to counseling
Encourage the student to call CPS at 510/642-9494 or visit the Tang Center to initiate Counseling. If the student seems distressed and is not open to idea of counseling, call CPS to consult with a counselor.


Students with urgent concerns, during Tang operational hours

  • During CPS operational hours, students with urgent concerns should come to the Tang Center office (3rd floor) and request to see the advice counselor.  These visits are on a drop-in basis and no appointment is required.
  • Please call to let us know when you refer a student who is in crisis (510/642-9494), and alert us of the student's concerns, and when he or she will be coming to CPS for an appointment.
  • Offer to walk the student to our office if you doubt he or she will follow through.
  • When a student comes to CPS to speak with a counselor on a drop-in basis, please be aware that there may be a wait to be seen.  We do our best to see students in a timely way, however, wait times may vary depending on the number of students needing to be seen, and the urgency of their concerns.  

Students with urgent concerns, when Tang is Closed

  • You and/or the student can call the After Hours Assistance Line at 510/643-7197 and ask to speak with a counselor.


Counselors are available to consult with students, faculty, and staff regarding various psychological issues that may affect Berkeley students. If you are concerned about a student, call CPS at 510/642-9494 for a telephone consultation. Between 8AM - 5PM counselors are available to take your call. Please let us know the urgency of your concern.


CPS offers training and educational workshops to the campus community to help faculty and staff better assist students.  Click here to request an in-person training for your group or office.


Online Resources


Back to Student Services A-Z>

University of California seal

Contact Info bullet Join Our Team bullet About UHS bullet Gifts bullet

Privacy Practices bullet Disclaimer bullet Tang 101 Video bullet Meet the Staff
Copyright © UC Regents bullet 2222 Bancroft Way, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-4300