Ongoing Recruitment Position: Specialist Physician
This is an ongoing recruitment position based on staffing needs. Position will remain posted and applications reviewed on a continuous basis.
As a national collegiate leader, the University Health Services, Tang Center provides comprehensive medical, mental health, insurance and health promotion services to all Berkeley students, and a variety of health programs for faculty and staff. Approximately 65,000 visits occur annually including Primary Care, Urgent Care, Occupational Health and Specialty Clinics. Services are designed to minimize the impact of illness, emotional distress and injury on studies and work. Coupled with health promotion and public health programs, UHS reaches all segments of the Berkeley campus community.
Find a complete, updated listing of job opportunities at UHS by searching "University Health Services" on the Berkeley Jobs website.
UHS is looking for experienced specialists to work with a team of medical professionals who share a passion for providing excellent health care to a university population. Under the supervision of the Medical Director, Consulting Physicians work closely with the Specialty Clinics Nurse Manager to provide ambulatory services in the Specialty Clinic at Tang Center. This position provides health care to adolescent and adult patients, assessing and treating a wide variety of conditions, ailments and injuries. Specialty consultation with primary care physicians, nurse practitioners and other health care providers serves to enhance the level of comprehensive care provided at UHS by improving access and convenience, allowing for timely evaluation and treatment, and thereby facilitating academic retention.
• Performs procedures associated with area of specialization (for example, surgery, OB/GYN, dermatology, sports medicine, occupational health, psychiatry).
• Sees primary care patients requiring a higher degree of subject matter expertise or primarily sees patients in a consultative basis in area of specialty.
• Provides appropriate, thorough education to the patient regarding diagnosis, condition, expected recovery, and potential complications while assuring that all questions are answered.
• Performs surgical procedures; providing pre- and post-surgical care.
• Accurately establishes the nature of clinical problems through appropriate history (subjective information and reason for referral), physical examination (objective data), and assessment to meet or exceed community standards and the goals of the Quality Improvement Committee.
• Appropriately orders and utilizes diagnostic tests consistent with institutional resources, community standards and quality improvement goals.
• Provides appropriate specialty diagnostic and/or therapeutic procedures at both UHS and community medical facilities. Quality and utilization of procedures shall be consistent or better than the community standard.
• Provides appropriate referral for different specialty and/or subspecialty care as deemed appropriate for a particular clinical problem.
• Staffs on-site UHS clinics that are regularly scheduled based on demand as determined by the Medical Director or Specialty Clinics Nurse Manager.
• Provides off-site telephone or office-based consultation for patients needing timely specialty evaluation as determined by UHS clinical staff.
• Works closely with the Specialty Clinics Nurse Manager to assure that on-site clinics are appropriately arranged and communicated to UHS staff.
• Works cooperatively and effectively with all UHS staff to address patients’ needs in the specialty clinic.
• Displays understanding of and sensitivity to the professional identity, interests and skills of all UHS staff, including physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses,health educators,support staff and administration.
• Works well with staff of diverse cultural, ethnic/racial backgrounds and sexual orientations.
• Maintains medical record entries that are organized into history, physical examination, assessment, and plan. Entries are clear, complete, legible, and relevant. Completes medical record entries prior to departing the Tang Center after patient visit.
Read the full job description and apply online (search by job number on the Berkeley Jobs website).