If you are a member of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), University Health Services serves you in two ways: as your health care provider and as your health insurance plan.
All of the rights and responsibilities of UHS patients apply to students enrolled in SHIP. In addition, as a SHIP member, you also have the following rights and responsibilities.
As a SHIP member, you have the right to:
- Request information, and have your questions answered, about:
- The benefits of the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- The network of providers available to serve you at UHS and in the medical community.
- How to receive access to care, both at the Tang Center and off-campus.
- How to waive the plan if you have comparable major medical insurance coverage.
- How to express grievances or provide suggestions concerning the plan.
- Obtain authorization and payment for medically necessary services covered by the plan, including:
- Coverage of emergency care services as specified in the plan.
- Authorizations for visits to a specialist, based on an approved treatment plan.
- Coverage for hospitalization as specified in the plan.
Receive a written "Notice of Privacy Practices" that explains how your protected health information will be used and disclosed.
You have the responsibility to:
- Learn About the Plan.
- Become knowledgeable about the covered benefits, limitations and exclusions of the Student Health Insurance Plan. Know and abide by the administrative and operational procedures of the plan.
- Meet Your Financial Obligations.
- Make a good-faith effort to meet your financial obligations under the plan, including paying premiums (included with your registration fees) and any co-payments.
- Be Open.
- Provide information relevant to your participation in the plan and use of plan benefits.
- Let Us Know How We're Doing.
- Use established complaint resolution procedures to address any concerns you may have about the plan. Call (510) 642-6621, visit the Administration Office on the third floor, or submit a feedback form located throughout the building.